What is going on with Gnome Sound Recorder?

Does anyone know how Gnome Sound Recorder works? This isn’t a complaint (I don’t complain about free stuff) just curious if anyone understands what the baseline assumptions are with Gnome Sound Recorder.

Here is what I was expecting:

1. Recorded files are saved in a folder in something like ~/Recordings or ~/Music or something like that.

2. I also expected Gnome Sound Recorder to have a setting to let me set the save folder.

3. Well …

a) It doesn’t save it in a normal location, instead it saves it here: ~/.local/share/org.gnome.SoundRecorder

b) It has a kind of “download” icon that does … something? I clicked it and it seems to be stuck “downloading” the file … from a local file system location to where? Why is that icon there? Screenshot attached:

c) I don’t see a setting in the app that would allow me to change the default save location, why? Gnome still expects everything to be setup via gconf interfaces?

d) Here are the help files for the application: Usage

Is the idea that Sound Recorder saves the files in some sort of raw format and the user is expected to “download” the file and the app converts the format to flac or something like that? What the gist the gnome devs expect us to have? Anyone use the app?

Based on the “help” that you link to, no. Try “Record as” each of the three options - and then see what file type each recording gave you.

There may be some merit in trying the same app but on a desktop / laptop, in case some of the behaviour is a consequence of screen size or other environment that is unique to the Librem 5.

Unfortunately not.

Not at all on the Librem 5. However on the desktop / laptop I tend to record with e.g. arecord or Audacity, and convert with e.g. sox or Audacity or Sound Converter. I’m pretty sure that Audacity would be screen fail on the Librem 5 - unless docked.

In respect of the save location, I don’t speak for Gnome devs but perhaps they are seeking an abstraction, whereas you are looking at it from the more concrete point of view of a file system. In other words, if all I can do is make and play recordings in isolation or even send them off via any kind of messaging then it doesn’t matter in the slightest where the recordings are saved provided that the software knows what directory to use and the directory exists (or can be made to exist when needed) and the directory doesn’t interfere or overlap with any other application - or even doesn’t matter if the recordings are not in the file system at all.

I have to admit that this kind of abstraction approach better suits the average iPhone user, rather than the average long-time Linux user, at least in my opinion. :wink:

2 Likes

That makes sense. Thx.

Just tested this using the flatpak. Sound Recorder (flatpak version) is placing the raw file into ~/.var/app/org.gnome.SoundRecorder/data/org.gnome.SoundRecorder . I called mine “Test”

You can play the file right from there, using vlc or something like that.

I used the export option, and exported it to my Documents directory. It exported as Test.flac . Again opens just fine in vlc

2 Likes

That is the gnome save icon. It should, when you click on that, pop-up and ask where you want it saved.

1 Like

Sometimes if an App opens a New Window or pop-up, you only see it if you swipe to your Application/Menu which i think its swipe up from the bottom and see another window and to select this you have to choose it manually as your focused App.

Which is, i think its a bug, because the Posh did not redirect the focus by default and if you try to interact with the App in the sublayer it did not respond to every interaction.

This behavior makes me often think of an application is breezed, but it just take some times and you learn this and take a look as workaround…

However i crashed sometimes my phone/posh and it need a restart too.

Additional Tip for Linux Nerds at this Point:
If you have a Keyboard attached its fine to have the Linux usual Trick to change to some other TTY (over the usual shortcuts), Login and Debug or Kill that Application. ;D

Gnome Sound Recorder saves files in ~/.local/share/org.gnome.SoundRecorder. No direct setting for save location; unclear conversion process.

I’m a bit surprised by these comments. The format for the filetype can be selected before recording from the hamburger / three lines menu and when you push the save/download looking button, it lets you select that by opening up a file manager window in your home folder. What you are seeing under ~/.local/… is probably meant as a temp file.

You may want to check out Reco from Flathub. It has the controls you seem to be looking for more conveniently visible. Not perfect window size but works well (for some reason the first time it crashed bu since ok). Special feature: select recording mic and select if system sounds are recorded also.

2 Likes