What's better for Librem 5 - PureOS or Mobian?

Good point, but this way is permitted by FSF because it still permit to have GNU+Lnx System fully Libre of Blobs.

FSF does not permit this way because Gnu+Lnx can not be fully Libre of Blobs

If Peoples cares differently that is OK BUT They need to Respect Gnu OSes Rules like PureOS, if peoples do not like FSF Rules through PureOS then They need to Go far away to Opensources OSes like Debian, Manjaro, Fedora, Whatever. why? because PureOS is for Free Software Peoples like Me, Why? why not?.

As i said above Rules are Rules to Protect of the end user from Enterprise what fits.

If Purism want to do whatever for user like Opensource does then need to removed from FSF.

Even if remove the Firmware blobs from Jail there is no guarantee that it will be completely disabled through an Easter-egg microfirmware into controller but luckily it exists a h.k.s. :wink:

1 Like

That is a possibility. (In fact, I would assume there is embedded microfirmware because something has to fire up e.g. the USB client device to the state where the host can download the actual firmware.)

Security is always a game of defence in depth (or, if you prefer, belt and braces).

If you want to get truly paranoid, the WiFi card can have an “easter egg” e.g. supercapacitor - so that it still has power after the HKS is operated, and the WiFi card can continue to function in low power stealth mode doing who knows what for how long. (May work even better for Bluetooth.)

It is good to have choices about what measures you deploy in order to manage your security and privacy.

It depends what you (really the FSF rules) mean by “system”. The computer as a whole? Nah, it’s not free of blobs. The disk / root file system / boot file system? Yes, it can be free of blobs. Some other carving up of the computer so as to make the statement true? Yes, the statement is true.

3 Likes

:joy:
Well a Capacitor is just a volatil energy what could happen is a hidden battery disguised as a capacitor(supercapacitor).

Well Userland is already Libre next step for FSF through RCS will be Rootland Libre, but if opensource does not matter get Libre Useland, Rootland(firmwares) will be never, so yes FSF is the only Real Freedom,Security and Privacy for user.

1 Like