What's the point of the monitor Librem 5 combo?

maybe this is just me being ignorant but isn’t there an adapter that we could buy and just use with a monitor we already have?

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s any reason to assume existing monitors won’t be compatible, barring some cable adapters. If you’ve got monitors to use, no need to buy the combo

3 Likes

Since a binary blob is required for HDMI in the i.MX 8M, the Librem 5 will probably use DisplayPort alternative mode over USB-C, since the i.MX 8M does support DisplayPort and eDP and there are many USB-C host and PD chips on the market that can convert DisplayPort to DisplayPort alternative mode. (It would be possible for Purism to put a separate HDMI convertor chip on the board, but that would cost more so I can’t see why Purism would do that when it already has DisplayPort provided by the SoC and DisplayPort is a freer standard than HDMI.)

What the i.MX 8M doesn’t support is dual display mode (it is also not supported by DisplayPort alt. mode), so you are only going to be able to use one monitor.

You can definitely do this cheaper by buying your own monitor with DisplayPort, a Bluetooth keyboard, a Bluetooth mouse and a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, but you might want to support Purism’s mission, and you also get the convenience of knowing that everything works together out of the box.

2 Likes

or just buy/use a ultra wide aspect ratio monitor ( 21:9 = 2560x1080/3440x1440 or higher ones or the realy giant 3840x1080 ) that way you get the benefit of dual monitors in a single one.

That’s TOO COOL put me down for the combo.

I kind of assumed the same as others. A way to further support. Seems pricey so i was curious what specifically was included in the bundle. I think i’ll probably purchase it, i just wish i knew the specifics, but i am up for being a support… dammit im going back and forth, if only i knew what i was buying, it’s a psychological thing. I still need to preorder…i think i’ll pull the trigger this weekend. Give me a break, i’m a fast learning N word, and im not talking THE N word…ends with ewb.

So why don’t you ask Purism?

Obviously monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
Most likely the monitor includes a USB-C hub to connect all parts.
Main question is: Full HD or 4k?

The only information available regarding the monitor is that it is

1. compatible, and
  2. either 24" or 30" (whatever the customer chose)

That’s very limited information. While resolution is probably the most important missing information (and FHD or 4K UHD aren’t the only possibilities), there are many other things that a customer might want to know about a monitor. In addition, the keyboard and mouse could in principle be connected via Bluetooth rather than USB to the monitor and then multiplexed via USB-C back to the Librem 5.

We could speculate endlessly or … anyone who is considering buying this could ask.

At this stage I would be happy to know that video over USB-C on the Librem 5 is working at all - and even that isn’t a real priority for me.

1 Like

“Obviosuly”… “most likely”…“main question”… wrong wrong and wrong. thanks for being annoying and contributing nothing.

well i guess i could. i just imagined that would have been done by now and if they knew forsure then more info would be on the site. but i’ll get right on that

:heart: Welcome in the community. :heart:

3 Likes

Thank you. It’s good to be here. See you around :slight_smile:

LMAO.

i’m not one to compare sizes … BUT you should check his profile before you start typing :joy:

Haha. Hey im aware im aware…
i think i derailed this enought, gonna stop replying now