What's your estimated shipping batch? (poll)

well that’s playing with “fire” right there … but hopefully it won’t come to that … :wink:

1 Like

Wow, 100 votes! That’s a nice number, at this point each percent in the result should be one person. Then there are 3 Birch, 3 Chestnut, and 4 Dogwood responses. And 3 “other” which probably means Fir.

The Birch shipment should be soon. Quoting from https://puri.sm/posts/supplying-the-demand/:

All Librem 5 Birch devices are expected to ship before November 26th

If that holds, there’s only 9 days left now. :slight_smile:

More specifically, only intend for these units to find their way into the hands of users with extensive Linux experience

I don’t think I’m allowed to buy it. Metaphorically, I’m not allowed to sit with the cheerleaders and jocks at the “the cool kids” table. Tee hee that’s O.K. though, I’d rather be high in the parking lot :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I wasn’t a “cool kid” in school. I hung out with the pot heads

https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinephone-braveheart-limited-edition-linux-smartphone-for-early-adaptor

Me too. I don’t get their marketing because they seem to want to appeal only to technocrats (and really, can that sustain them?). Anyhow, good on them because the more Linux kernel options available when fuchsia is launched, the better.

1 Like

Well I’m more of a techno rat. I’m pretty much self taught in most things computer. I’ve dabbled with Linux since the early 2000’s and have been wanting to break away from proprietary software hardware as much as possible, the weak links have been phone and tablet but those are soon to disappear. I can’t wait to load up 3 or four different distros on my Linux phone in a single day :smiley:

4 Likes

i’ll be happy with just one on my phone … at Purism “earliest convenience” …

2 Likes

Despite all the criticism on purism on getting the product to their customers I like the transparency and the batches. That’s a good compromise on having people who cannot wait getting some alpha product, getting some real world experience and on the other hand still give the finished polished product to everyone else once it’s time.

Having said this, I would have been fine with Evergreen but wrote back to go for fir which was just confirmed. Really appreciate how easy this was - no other company would just allow you to get the v2 without extra payment at the price of waiting half a year more.

I think everyone who is referring to purism as untrustworthy should think about how they overfull filled their promises on specs and how they treat with the foreseeable delay in the production. And yes: Everyone makes errors now and then - that’s human.

8 Likes

To be quite honest the concern is because we haven’t seen anyone talk about it. Lunduke supposedly had one but can’t talk about it at all for some reason. For me it’s chestnut or bust. If I don’t see a common user with a phone at all I’m gonna be really upset about their silence.

1 Like

Exactly, their “transparency” leaves much to be desired

nice, it looks like the other batches are kind of evenly distributed. Hopefully we’ll be able to see some video’s of people using the batches before evergreen.
That was initially why I saw a lot of value in aspen, but that now shifts to birch. The first birch users are kind of responsible for how the world perceives the librem 5 when it releases :slight_smile:

Oh look, @hackersgame put a screendump of this poll in the latest video:

I feel famous now. :smiley:

3 Likes