Where is the most interest in Linux phones?

This is not an entirely bad idea for philosophical reasons and out of compassion. Without Geneva Convention protocols and agreements to go by, where do we find an impartial court and truely fair ground rules? Whether or not their respective cases are ever litigated or not has no bearing on the category of their alleged crimes (political vs non-political) either way. To litigate religious beliefs as justifications and to adjudicate legal cases based in any part on religious beliefs alone has never been the purvue of truely free societies. It’s a big can of worms. None of the defendants support inalienable rights themselves. When you have a fierce enemy who fights with no rules nor agreed-upon rules of conduct, the best defense is to fight their terror with equal forms of justice. Their friends and family know where they are and probably don’t want to join them there.

We have laws in this country. These crimes took place outside of the protected jurisdiction of these rights in a war to put an end to these very same rights. If we take the moral high ground, they will use it against us. So in these cases, there are no rules and therefore no evidence of real political differences.

There are some cases where Gitmo prisoners were held for political reasons. Just looking at the list on Wikipedia:

• Badrzaman Badr[16] (Afghanistan) A writer with a master’s degree in English literature. At the time of his detention he was already imprisoned in Afghanistan for writing satirical articles that lampooned both the U.S. and the Taliban. Released in 2005 after 3.5 years of imprisonment by US. [4]
  • Al Hajj, Sami (Sudan) Cameraman for al Jazeera, only journalist held at Gitmo, hunger-striker.
  • Zaeef, Mullah Abdul Salam (Afghanistan) Former Taliban ambassador to Pakistan; released September 2005.

I would argue that the Uyghur independence fighters who went to Afghanistan for military training and were jailed at Gitmo were also political prisoners. Maybe they are considered “terrorists” by China which refuses to take them back as citizens of China, but they certainly hadn’t committed any crime under US or international law.

On the question of political prisoners, I consider the government whistleblowers charged under the Obama administration and especially Chelsea Manning to be political prisoners. When the US government decided to destroy the Black Panthers, they used all sorts of legal excuses to do it, but in reality they were political prisoners.

However, the larger point, as I pointed out in my previous post, is that the high US incarceration rate was a political decision and politicians used higher incarceration as a means to further their political goals. When Nixon decided to create the war on drugs to attack his political enemies (blacks and hippies), you can’t really say that the people rounded up on drug charges were political prisoners, but they were put in prison for political reasons.

1 Like

I do not care about search statistics. I am not one of those who google everything. First time i know about purism and Librem5, i just go right to this Url and check for news. After i add an RSS feed to my reader and follow them on some microblogs.

Search Engines are so Year 2000…

I am interested in a linux phone because i do care about the code behind the phone. Right know there are not many users, but that the way of progress. The Internet was tiny too… it just needs time.

Right know i know what i have with purism devices. And i can’t buy it else because its so innovative.

As User i just have a Phone as a Computer with Linux, like before. The usability seems the same as to any other smart phone with Lineageos and nearly no Apps without tracking. So yeah my usage is right at the beginning at 70%. That’s enough i do not need Apps for accessing the world, or for twitter and some popular Messenger proxy. Because that’s already done by my other Computers in the computer center.

I am sure i can use ssh and some small script on the phone to polish the data with a sexy looking desktop gui. No need for apps.

Librem 5 is just what i want. A Device that fits 100% of my needs.

Yes it can be done with a pinephone too. But i like to support the work done by purism.

2 Likes

Steven, I’m flabbergasted. Your reasoning is so curled, you must be a lawyer. I.m.h.o. if their is a just law, it must be for all. The US Army cannot be the perpetrator, accuser, judge and prosecutor all at the same time.Nobody captured in Afghanistan would ever attack you if you stayed out of their country. The group who did attack at 9/11 where 100% citizens of Saudi Arabia and mostly financed and trained by USA and UK to attack the Russians in Afghanistan…

The fact that you do not bring the prisoners in Gitmo to court implies that there is no proof at all. In the eyes of the world the US lost the moral high ground long time ago when Iraq was attacked under false pretenses.

1 Like

You know you can create a new topic in Round Table for this kind of thing?

What’s the interest in Linux phones like in Afghanistan? Saudi? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Exactly! I left Facebook for this very thing among a host of other reasons.

1 Like

Hi, all this topic/thread (Where is the most interest in Linux phones?) has basically gone way off the rails, and off topic some time ago.

I ask that in this thread we stick to it’s original topic. There are other categories in this forum for off topics like the “Round table” category where the other topics being discussed in this thread has been moved.

I would prefer that to happen, and for the debate to respect all participants.

And not having to close this thread.

3 Likes

It may be timely to remind posters that when you reply to a post, at top left on the post window is a menu with the following options.

+ Reply as linked topic
envelope New message
arrow Reply to topic

The last is the default - with the obvious, normal behavior i.e. continue the topic.

If you want to go off topic, use the first option (and often selecting category Round Table) - unless it is so niche and one-to-one that you want to make it a private or limited discussion, in which case use the second option.

The first option is like forking for topics.

3 Likes

It appears you misunderstood that. The $799 price is for the phone, manufactured abroad. The $1999 is for the same phone, but manufactured in the US, in case you want to support the local economy (assuming “local” means “The US” for you).

[EDIT] In other words: you can get it for $799 if you live in the US. It just won’t be manufactured in the US.