Wifi on MacBook

@Ralf, after above error solved, just like to remind on few most important steps:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debian-archive-keyring/debian-archive-keyring_2021.1.1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i debian-archive-keyring_2021.1.1_all.deb

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/isenkram/isenkram-cli_0.48_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i isenkram-cli_0.48_all.deb

sudo isenkram-autoinstall-firmware

Your sources.list is messed up. Debian does not carry byzantium suite, so this is an invalid entry:
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye non-free
And it causes all the problems, notably 404 not found. No wonder, Debian does not have byzantium, only PureOS does.

Next, if you mix Debian bullseye with PureOS byzantium, you will run into problems related same packages in the two distribution being slightly different versions. This might not bite you, if you only install a single package from Debian, but then again, it depends on a particular package and its dependencies.

Last, doing apt-get upgrade will install the highest version of every package, picked indiscriminately from both Debian and PureOS, and that is sure to either give problems, or it will effectively discard PureOS and switch you over to Debian. (PureOS lags behind Debian a little bit, and thus uses older versions of packages.)

Dwaff,
All I need to do is, get the broadcom driver installed to run my wireless communication.

I have two systems running with PureOS 9 and that driver.
This time I was recommended to go with PureOS 10.

If you have a better way of getting this driver installed, please let me know.

For that, I would add debian bullseye non-free to the sources.list, do apt-get update, apt-get install , and then remove debian bullseye from the sources.list altogether.

Edit: And, importantly, I would never run apt-get upgrade in this short period of time, when sources.list contain debian bullsye entries. Only update, to get package list. Never upgrade.

What is the difference between:
‘sudo apt update’ and ‘sudo apt-get update’ ?

There’s no difference. Both are doing the same thing. Slightly different frontend is engaged, that’s all.

1 Like

Will those two commands then get me the broadcom driver installed (after I get the bullseye path set right) ??

I’m reluctant to post an untested procedure, but nevertheless, here it is:

• get root by sudo su
  • add to the /etc/apt/sources.list: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye non-free
  • execute apt-get update
  • execute apt-get install isenkram-cli
  • execute isenkram-autoinstall-firmware
  • remove bullseye entry from /etc/apt/sources.list

isenkram-cli is part of main and therefore your proposal to use: apt-get install isenkram-cli might work well only if main, Debian 11 related one, added within sources.list, temporarily of course (certainly without executing apt-get upgrade, as you already noted, as not allowed under PureOS).

There is only one command that will do the magic, in particular. It is this one:
isenkram-autoinstall-firmware

For the purpose of “easy way” clarification, here below is attached partial output of:
sudo man isenkram-autoinstall-firmware

As there is no related feedback to your post, I rewrote your kind proposal up to my preferable liking (not because of I’m awaiting any relevant feedback either or thinking that what you already posted or I’m (re)posting here is everything needed, but might indeed do, at least in general under PureOS):

• get root by sudo su
  • add to the /etc/apt/sources.list : deb https://ftp.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free
  • execute apt-get update
  • execute apt-get install debian-archive-keyring
  • execute apt-get update
  • execute apt-get install firmware-linux-free
  • execute apt-get install firmware-misc-nonfree
  • execute apt-get install isenkram-cli
  • remove bullseye entry from /etc/apt/sources.list or mark it to something like this: ##deb https:// …, save/exit.

Thanks, @Dwaff!

No worries yet, Quarnero. I just haven’t got around to it yet. I will surely let you all know how it turns out.

1 Like

It looks like it was not able to find the driver it was looking for:

root@ralf-macbookpro11:/home/ralf# apt-get install firmware-misc-nonfree
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
firmware-misc-nonfree
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 124 not upgraded.
Need to get 8,953 kB of archives.
After this operation, 36.5 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye/non-free amd64 firmware-misc-nonfree all 20210315-3 [8,953 kB]
Fetched 8,953 kB in 14s (643 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package firmware-misc-nonfree.
(Reading database … 143149 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/firmware-misc-nonfree_20210315-3_all.deb …
Unpacking firmware-misc-nonfree (20210315-3) …
Setting up firmware-misc-nonfree (20210315-3) …
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.132pureos1) …
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64
root@ralf-macbookpro11:/home/ralf# apt-get install isenkram-cli
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
isenkram-cli is already the newest version (0.48).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 124 not upgraded.
root@ralf-macbookpro11:/home/ralf# isenkram-autoinstall-firmware
info: looking for firmware file b43/ucode29_mimo.fw requested by kernel
info: looking for firmware file b43/ucode29_mimo.fw requested by kernel
info: looking for firmware file b43-open/ucode29_mimo.fw requested by kernel
info: looking for firmware file b43-open/ucode29_mimo.fw requested by kernel
info: some kernel driver requested extra firmware files: b43/ucode11.fw b43/ucode13.fw b43/ucode14.fw b43/ucode15.fw b43/ucode16_lp.fw b43/ucode16_mimo.fw b43/ucode24_lcn.fw b43/ucode25_lcn.fw b43/ucode25_mimo.fw b43/ucode26_mimo.fw b43/ucode29_mimo.fw b43/ucode30_mimo.fw b43/ucode33_lcn40.fw b43/ucode40.fw b43/ucode42.fw b43/ucode5.fw b43/ucode9.fw intel/ibt-11-5.ddc intel/ibt-11-5.sfi intel/ibt-12-16.ddc intel/ibt-12-16.sfi renesas_usb_fw.mem rtl_bt/rtl8723a_fw.bin rtl_bt/rtl8723b_config.bin rtl_bt/rtl8723b_fw.bin rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_config.bin rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin rtl_bt/rtl8723ds_config.bin rtl_bt/rtl8723ds_fw.bin rtl_bt/rtl8761a_config.bin rtl_bt/rtl8761a_fw.bin rtl_bt/rtl8821a_config.bin rtl_bt/rtl8821a_fw.bin rtl_bt/rtl8822b_config.bin rtl_bt/rtl8822b_fw.bin b43/ucode29_mimo.fw b43/ucode29_mimo.fw b43-open/ucode29_mimo.fw b43-open/ucode29_mimo.fw
info: unable to find any local firmware info for dist byzantium, using info for sid
info: locating packages with the requested firmware files
info: determining whether enabling other components is required
info: Updating APT sources after adding non-free APT source
E: The repository ‘http://deb.debian.org/debian byzantium Release’ does not have a Release file.
info: trying to install firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43-installer
E: Unable to locate package firmware-b43-installer
root@ralf-macbookpro11:/home/ralf#

1 Like

firmware-b43-installer package is in contrib repository (I wasn’t aware of this, sorry) so please add contrib to your sources.list, beside bullseye main and non-free.

Now you should proceed with (while rest is looking like very good job of yours):

• get root by sudo su
  • add to the /etc/apt/sources.list : deb https://ftp.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free
  • execute apt-get update
  • execute apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
  • exit to exit root.
  • remove bullseye entry from /etc/apt/sources.list or mark it to something like this: ##deb https:// … , save/exit .

Let us know if anything else needed.

1 Like

I see also this. There is no byzantium in Debian. The corresponding entry in sources list needs to be corrected to point to pureos site, or removed.

1 Like

The wifi is working now. Thank you so much Quarnero and Dwaff.

1 Like

Hi guys,
Thanks for this awesome thread. I have the same issue with an old Macbook Pro and PureOS 10. My broadcom network controller is BCM43602 … (rev 01). I followed the steps as described until this point and I experience two issues.

First, regarding the sources.list:

I get the same error as Ralf, but I don’t have this source in my sources list:

E: The repository ‘http://deb.debian.org/debian byzantium Release’ does not have a Release file.

Nevertheless I was able to download and update the firmware installer

isenkram-cli is already the newest version (0.48)
firmware-b43-installer is already the newest version (1:019.7)

When I run isenkram-autoinstall-firmware It says

info: No new firmware package with requested firmware detected

Hence, when I open wifi settings it still says “no wifi adapter found”

Any ideas on how I can get my wifi adapter up and running?

Thanks,
D

1 Like

Debian maintainers have another one ready for your particular Wi-Fi hardware (looks like it should help): https://wiki.debian.org/brcmfmac. Please proceed with here mentioned BCM43602 [non-free] link like this:
sudo su
apt-get purge firmware-b43-installer
apt clean
apt update
apt search firmware-brcm80211
apt-get install firmware-brcm80211
isenkram-autoinstall-firmware
apt-get autoclean
exit −− please close other open programs as well
sudo reboot

After your PureOS comes back please remove bullseye entry from /etc/apt/sources.list, connect your Wi-Fi … and execute: sudo time apt update to see if everything works.

EDIT (to explain): Actually: firmware-b43-installer was in contrib repo from … (therefore added) and in your case: firmware-brcm80211 package lies available within non-free repo from same …, yet to be consistent with main role of isenkram-autoinstall-firmware command please execute it before and without: apt-get install firmware-brcm80211 as isenkram-autoinstall-firmware command should pull this (or any other firmware) package by itself, I think. I’m just trying to avoid any sort of unnecessary confusion, make clear on why isenkram-autoinstall-firmware command is important by itself.

Thank you @Quarnero. I followed the step but it still says

Info: no new firmware package with requested firmware detected

How could I check which firmware is being used?

Update:
I also installed the b43legacy-installer (from debian 9 stretch as mentioned here) but with the same result: no new firmware package detected.

Update 2: Wifi now works
-> I used the command you edited out, rebooted and now I have a wifi adapter & wifi connection.

Thanks for your help @Quarnero :pray:t2:

1 Like

For anyone finding this thread because they searched for the libc6-dev, libgcc-8-dev, gsettings-desktop-schemas, mutter, upgrade errors: the solution can be found here Upgrade to Byzantium