Will Cordova apps work on Librem phones?

Title says it all really. I’ve developed some apps using Cordova and would like to know if they will run on the Librem 5 phone. I understand that Cordova supports Ubuntu touch (although haven’t been able to find out much more about this).

Bump bump, I’d still like to know if I can run my HTML5 Cordova app on the Librem 5

You might be able to try it in the emulator?

https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Development_Environment/Boards/emulators.html

Seems there is an issue with the emulator page

developer.puri.sm uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on 23 December 2018, 06:54:10 GMT. The current time is 23 December 2018, 12:32.

Seems to be fixed now.

2 Likes

Well now that the phone is out, what is the status with running a web app (built with Cordova)? Does the Librem support web apps directly in its built in browser or is there a way to package them for the Librem?

I think you should just wait until somebody NOT from purism does have a Librem 5, so you can ask them to try apps based on Cordova on it.

Well they started shipping a few weeks ago so I assumed somebody (not from purism) on this forum would have one by now.

Are you using any plugins? Vibration or something that isn’t supported in GNOMEs WebKit browser?
Cordova is just a browser/webview with an app around it, Java for android and Objective-c for iOS so you cant run those directly. I guess you could use Electron or wait/hope they will add support for PureOS.

I’ve made several apps using Cordova, but seldom used anything that isn’t supported in a browser anyway. Those apps will run as web-apps.

I tried my apps in GNOMEs “Web” to test them and see that everything worked.
I’m just a webdeveloper my self so I could be wrong :slight_smile:

I’m using the networking plugin, and the camera for barcode scanning.

Sorry to disappoint you :slight_smile:

You can get access to the camera in Electron or just in a web-app (PWA).
I’m not sure about network information since it’s still experimental MDN NetworkInformation

I would and will my self be checking out Electron until something lighter/faster comes along.

1 Like

Thinking more about this, if the Librem is just a running a GNU/Linux distro behind the scenes, couldn’t I just install all the Cordova dev tools, node, etc. and build and run it directly in the phone’s browser just like I would on a desktop?