WMWARE issue please help

Please Help me
I can not run a VMWARE because I can not create the key

“Generate a key pair using the openssl to sign vmmon and vmnet modules:”
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146460

Error:

$openssl req -new -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout VMWARE.priv -outform DER -out VMWARE.der -nodes -days 36500 -subj “/CN=VMware/”
Could not find the database of available applications, run update-command-not-found as root to fix this
Sorry, command-not-found has crashed! Please file a bug report at:
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
Please include the following information with the report:

command-not-found version: 0.3
Python version: 3.7.3 final 0
Distributor ID: PureOS
Description: PureOS
Release: 9.0
Codename: amber
Exception information:

local variable ‘cnf’ referenced before assignment
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/share/command-not-found/CommandNotFound/util.py”, line 23, in crash_guard
callback()
File “/usr/lib/command-not-found”, line 93, in main
if not cnf.advise(args[0], options.ignore_installed) and not options.no_failure_msg:
UnboundLocalError: local variable ‘cnf’ referenced before assignment

Please help me

I have no idea what that error is about. I haven’t been on PureOS for a while now, but I was able to get Workstation on there after some tinkering.

Basically, I was a noob at Linux, and had to learn some things. Now though, I would just download the bundle from VMWare, make it executable, install it. If it fails and says somethings couldn’t be configured because of dependencies, you use a command to install missing dependencies, and then run the bundle installer again.

That’s it. Should work. Unless newer version of PureOS are missing something else, from when I tried all of this.

That looks like the standard “update-command-not-found” error got nothing to do with openssl.
just points to the fact that openssl does not seem to be installed.

Got a few scares from it as well.

thank you for your help

now I am stuck at

Binary file (standard input) matches
daniel@WIN1610-5:~$ sudo mokutil --import VMW.der
sudo: mokutil: command not found

so install it that the message you should get if something does not exist.
Sorry don’t have access to my Librem Laptop to figure out what you have to install.

i try to install it

/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
daniel@WIN1610-5:~$ apt-get install mokutil
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), are you root?
daniel@WIN1610-5:~$ ^C
daniel@WIN1610-5:~$

all installations need to be done as root so put a sudo before it.
I’d really advice you to do any linux tutorial.
Otherwise you’ll get stuck with using Linux all the time this is the Linux 1x1.

thank you for your help

Selecting previously unselected package mokutil.
(Reading database … 219945 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack …/mokutil_0.3.0+1538710437.fb6250f-1_amd64.deb …
Unpacking mokutil (0.3.0+1538710437.fb6250f-1) …
Setting up mokutil (0.3.0+1538710437.fb6250f-1) …
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) …
daniel@WIN1610-5:~$ sudo mokutil --import VMW.der
EFI variables are not supported on this system
daniel@WIN1610-5:~$

I can not imagine you can not use VMWARE on that machine?

If VMware requres (U)EFI then yes itprobably won’t work.
But then why use VMware when you can just use the KVM? works better in my opinion.

Or just remember that you don’t have to use PureOS. This is part of the whole freedom deal. Ubuntu is not the evil many on this forum would talk about.

Ubuntu has turned my Librem into the shining star it is.

1 Like

@2disbetter do you have VMWare installed on ubuntu on a librem Laptop?
What kind of Bios are you using with Ubuntu so that you can get EFI?
seems like VMware wants to install it’s key into the EFI so it’s locked to the device.

Sure do.

Mine has Seabios and Coreboot.

I have never had any issues with UEFI/EFI when installing workstation.

I should also mention that I had Workstation installed on another laptop that was running Elementary OS. I decided to enable Secure Boot at one point, and then it became necessary to generate a key and enter it into the key store. I can’t remember the steps I took but there was a guide I found. It went through the process of generating a key, self-signing it, registering it with the system, and then inserting it into secure boots key store (I’m probably butchering the names here). Without doing this, VMs that previously ran, would not start up.

As the Librem’s do not have secure boot, I would think it is a non-starter. Of course if your Librem came with Pureboot then you might have this issue.

This is ick. Known problem: https://tracker.pureos.net/T637

I would have thought that giving a screen’s worth of misleading and irrelevant information for a simple “command not found” would warrant removing this functionality from PureOS until such time as it is fixed.

In the meantime:

sudo apt remove command-not-found

and you should then get a sensible error message (but obviously openssl still won’t work if it is not installed).

Thanks @2disbetter,
Good to know that this is a viable option for @Mosh to get VMware onto a Librem Laptop, thought there would be more trouble with the Bios not being a UEFI one.

Good I think I will try to use KVM

Any how I uninstall VMware now ;-(

This may help:
https://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.ws.get_started.doc%2FGUID-05E4C876-F32C-49D2-82B4-8C759691E7F5.html

ha that was working, very good I appreciate the help thank you
do we have by any change an installation guide for KVM in the forum?

@Mosh I don’t know of one in the forum but I’d go with the KVM installation documentation for debian.
I’m using KVM/libvirt under Fedora not PureOS but that documentation should get you started.

But in my opinion that’s only the beginning of handling VMs under Linux.
If you combine KVM with vagrant and the vagrant-lbvirt plugin you can create, modify and destroy VMs in minutes, which make them the nice disposable tools that I’m using them as.

1 Like

thank you I will check

vagrant-lbvirt plugin is MIT license … not GPL but weak copyleft … at least the web-page doesn’t require java-script :sweat_smile: