Would you use a PureOS "rolling release" or do you want a "stable" PureOS?

I’m very much in favour of stable releases. Ideally, more stable than Debian, i.e. without breaking Firefox in the middle of a release cycle.

I’m guessing you’re talking more stable than Debian’s testing branch? There aren’t many things more stable than Debian’s stable branch. If you are looking for more stable than Debian Stable the research I’ve done so far says OpenBSD may be the best option but I haven’t actually made that plunge on my server due to my current preference of Plex as a media server.

I prefer this rolling release. What drove me away from Debian was that Stable was getting too stale with user applications, but I was worried about using Testing because I hear it doesn’t receive security updates in a timely manner. Ubuntu’s short term release or whatever their rolling is called, covers up for the security aspect but I never wanted to go for that due to the usual beef FOSS people have with Canonical. I would also like to mention that while I can handle my commands in the terminal, I do not consider myself a power user and I need to Google (jk ofc, more like DDG) any issue I encounter. PureOS offered me the only rolling release that I can rely on. I would hate if it became a yearly release (let alone every 5ish years like Debian) as that would make PureOS unusable and would leave me in the limbo of Debian Testing :frowning:

In light of some of the other contributions to this thread, I think I’d like to revise my previous answer (stable, with some circumstantial exceptions) to something like “That depends on what you mean by a rolling release and a stable release. My gut says stable, but ideally both should be an option.”

Regarding @crisoagf’s dust settlement analogy, I think I prefer if dust is kicked up infrequently in larger amounts rather than little and often. If I know there is going to be a lot of dust, then I can put dust sheets over the furniture, wear a dust mask and open the windows. Then I can run the vacuum cleaner around afterwards. It won’t be a huge deal, because I can prepare myself.

But if there is constantly a small amount of dust being released, then dealing with it is going to place a constant, low-level demand on my attention, which could become quite tiresome.

However, I can understand that other people might find it easier to deal with a small amount of dust on a more regular basis.

I guess especially the “ordinary” people that Purism also tries to target. They might be used to do some vacuuming every week, but don’t necessarily own a dust mask… :slight_smile:

I like the idea, even though I don’t really know what you’re talking about… currently not enough time for research.

Some of those ideas remind me of Guix however, which I hope will be usable for ordinary people sooner rather than later and may not have the same RAM requirements as SilverBlue… if someone could share some experiences, I’d be interested.

I’ve been using Xubuntu LTS in recent years and can confirm that upgrading isn’t always straight-forward (one software requires the latest LTS version, the other one the version before that), so if there’s a rolling release model that avoids all that dust without breaking if I do my regular updates, I’d be happy to switch.

I spent two weeks with SilverBlue. I’m learning about GUIX in a VM now and intend to try it out as my main for two weeks, so I can compare.

Lots of things rubbed me wrong about SB though I do believe in the concept[quote=“cgelinek, post:46, topic:6536, full:true”]
I like the idea, even though I don’t really know what you’re talking about… currently not enough time for research.

Some of those ideas remind me of Guix however, which I hope will be usable for ordinary people sooner rather than later and may not have the same RAM requirements as SilverBlue… if someone could share some experiences, I’d be interested.

I’ve been using Xubuntu LTS in recent years and can confirm that upgrading isn’t always straight-forward (one software requires the latest LTS version, the other one the version before that), so if there’s a rolling release model that avoids all that dust without breaking if I do my regular updates, I’d be happy to switch.
[/quote]

. I should write about my experiences somewhere…

I’d be interested to read them, but more so on your Guix experiences…

That’d be awesome. Please let me know, you’ve got at least one reader :wink: