Would you use a PureOS "rolling release" or do you want a "stable" PureOS?

Or you could use Parrot for the rolling base. They have “Home” oriented versions, but it is rolling, and hardened.

As I understand currently PureOS is based on Debian Testing while LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is based on Debian Stable. That’s interesting. I’m curios what are the pros and cons for each approach.

I’m sorry I haven’t read through the 101-post thread.

I think this discussion (the question as originally posed) is no longer relevant in the sense that Purism now offers both. Period.

My 2c for the pros and cons (cross-post):

• Get work done with the minimum of disruption - value stability - Amber (stable)
  • Always have the latest and greatest - need new functionality - Byzantium (rolling)

I myself go for stable. Just gimme the bug fixes. The downside is that when I do finally choose to do a version upgrade, there is much more to download, it all takes a long time, and all the breakages and incompatible changes happen at once. So I plan the version upgrade for a time when I can afford to devote a half day to a day to messing around. (NB: This is Ubuntu not PureOS but it all comes from Debian.)

3 Likes

Where? Am I missing something?

Note the warning that the Byzantium ISO is “experimental”. That was 5 days ago. I don’t know whether that would have changed in the last 5 days. If not then the safe approach is to take an Amber ISO, let that fully install itself, and then change over from Amber to Byzantium (as per the first link). If this is a crash test dummy computer then just go ahead and use the Byzantium ISO regardless.

Note that an ISO, any ISO, is really only relevant for a new install. If this is an existing PureOS install then just change over from Amber to Byzantium (as per the first link).

The first link does not say it explicitly but I believe you will want to comment out Amber when adding Byzantium.

3 Likes

My claim comes from Wikipedia which may be fairly outdated.

And now you say Amber, the stable version (meaning it’s based on Debian Stable?) is the one long-standing version of PureOS. I’m confused.

The Wikipedia article provides a citation back to a blog post from Purism. However that post appears to be talking about “green”. So, yes, not incorrect at the time it was written but out of date.

1 Like
  1. PureOS Amber (stable) < Debian Stable (Buster currently image .iso 10.2) < non-rolling, LTS release, fixed
  2. PureOS Byzantium (testing-ish) < Debian testing (Bullseye - future 11 - not determined) < rolling(ish) , fluid

see > https://www.debian.org/releases/

5 Likes