I’ve read several posts about broken hinges with Librem laptops. Crossed fingers so far, that mine’s not involved.
By now i’d like to join the club of the 13v3-users with a broken hinge. Quite curious how that story will move on as there’s no dealer anymore in Europe.
Just closed my lid when i remembered, i forgot something. Reopened it and on opening i heard a crack-sound. Directly stopped - so lid was not even halfway opened, but the destruction was already done. Display seems to be involved - cover and display are divided by a visible space now. Rear-cover (covering the antennas) is separated slightly, too.
Writing that on my 12 years old Dell. My Librem and me had a great time so far - although it’s been a short one comparably.
Unfortunately it seems, my beloved Librem and me are within our 25th month of ownership. Realized - slightly amazed today, all in i paid more then 2K € for the whole bunch - 1.9K originally with 512GB Samsung 960 Pro, 16GB RAM, german keyboard. Plus a bit more for a Samsung 32GB RAM, Intel 9.260. Quite an expensive journey compared to my former computer-history. But being the only option available in its special regards still happy about it. Only downside: Hinge fixed against el-cheapo plastics - that doesn’t fit into the overall outstanding image.
Progress (to be updated):
- 27.07.20 left hinge ripped off displaypart it seems (display already separeted from cover a bit)
- 2 hours until first answer by Mladen (Purism; THAT is definitely unbeatable, THAT is what i’m used to with Purism within the last two years)
- 28.07.20 several very helpful & positive emails by Mladen - already missing my Librem’s backlid keyboard and the big multitouch-touchpad
- 31.07.20 email offering a replacement-lcd; at that time i’m away on holiday for 2 weeks (mentioned this in former correspondence)
- 18.08.20 my holiday’s over and Mladen sends me an email they decided to repair the laptop for free - just shipping back and forth to be covered (again very fair offer by Purism!)