13v4 German keyboard: keys missing: |, @, etc. 'AltGr' not working in general

Thought about it some more and found this:

That would mean that your AltGr-key might behave like originally designed in XWindows? Did you try something like pressing and releasing AltGr once and then typing ‘/’ followed by ‘o’ which should lead to ‘ø’ if your AltGr works as compose key.

If so you’d look to find where AltGr is defined as compose key or better where it is liberated from that function and mapped to be ISO_Level3_Shift.

For general keyboard layout this would be in /etc/default/keyboard. In my file the compose key is mapped to CapsLock.

What does your gnome-tweaks show on its keyboard-mouse page? Mine shows that the Compose-key is CapsLock, like here:

All the options in “Zusätzliche Belegungsoptionen” are either not selected or selected as “Deaktiviert”.

I’d expect if you updated your system, set the same /etc/default/keyboard as mine, setup the same keyboard in gnome-control-center and setup the same options in gnome-tweaks that your keyboard would work like mine.

In the end your keyboard is sending the right keycode and the rest has to be a software problem…

Thanks a lot.
The final twaek was obviously to set the compose key to another key (capslock).
Altogether it was for sure a combination of different actions as at the begnning of my quest in the first steps I always deactivated the compose key.
At “Zusätzliche Optionen” “Key for Entering 3rd level” is still set to “right alt”.

Your welcome! And welcome to the forum. I learned a lot during our search for the solution and looking backward to my starting experience with my Librem I’m really relieved that I didn’t run into that problem with the AltGr at that time.

I insisted from the beginning of my installation that I’d need my compose key and since a long time the capslock key is my enemy and gets in the way of my typing :wink: .

BTW: The root of the <>|-key problem made it upstream here and I’m willing to complain there.

1 Like

and did so.

2 Likes

Wie nett von dir, aber auch notig!

Glad the key worked and wasn’t broken!!!