17 inches for 8 hours!

I have a 17in Alienware laptop that is probably much too big and powerful for you, but I use it on planes all the time. It works just fine on Amtrak, Greyhound and in my home too. It might be heavier than others can handle, but I don’t have a problem with the weight, when I get the power that I want or need.

I don’t understand the trend toward dainty and frilly for IT professionals or just the average user in general. Everyone complains about ‘oh it’s too heavy’ or ‘that’s too big to be practical,’ so my question is: why are you posting?

If this topic pertains to a sweet, powerful and bigger system, that seems to be too heavy for some people, or too big for small delicate arms or hands to use, why do you feel the need to rain on everyone else’s dream of a bigger, better system? Especially one made by Purism? One with better personal security and a better operating system.

1 Like

I already answered your question, but I’ll flesh it out some more:
I think there are better things for Purism to work on.

1 Like

I predict that Purism will try to offer products in niche categories like 17" laptops once:

1. It has all the major product categories covered.
  2. It has a large enough customer base

At this point, Purism has to focus all its resources on developing the Librem 5, mobile Linux (libhandy, phosh, created new apps, and adapting existing GTK+ software to work with libhandy), the PureOS Store, and its future web services. Then, it will relaunch its crowdfunding campaign for the Librem 11 (tablet+detachable keyboard).

I predict after that that Purism will then offer a desktop PC, Wi-Fi router, a smaller 4.7" phone, a smaller 7-8" tablet without a detachable keyboard, and finally a 17" laptop.

I think that we can all agree that Purism should currently be focusing its limited resources on the Librem 5, because that is where it is doing the most good in the world in terms of advancing user rights, freedom and privacy, and it is also the largest potential market. The global market for smartphones is 1.5 billion units per year, whereas the global market for laptops is 160 million units per year. I doubt that there are more than 15 million 17" laptops sold per year.

Purism’s launch of the Librem 5 is going to generate a lot of headlines in the tech media and free advertising for the company, which will drive more people to its website and cause more sales of its laptops. I doubt that more than 1 in a 10,000 laptop buyers today have even heard of Purism, so raising the company’s profile is very important to increasing its sales and making a 17" laptop possible in the future.

1 Like

I would also love a 17" Purism laptop! It’s the only reason I haven’t bought one yet – I need that 17" screen. 15" screens are tiny! I imagine there are quite a few of us out there who wouldn’t buy Purism without a 17" model.

Joker9799
I’m also currently using a 17" Alienware, which while powerful, has the typical privacy concerns with Dell BIOSes and Intel AMT, which is why I’m interested in things like Purism at all.

Tonyp & 2disbetter
Size is not at all a problem for me – I’m a big dude, and a 10lb laptop is no big deal. There are a lot of big dudes out there for whom massive laptops are portable; and especially with something as expensive as a workstation, I’d rather it be built like a tank than be flimsy.

amosbatto
You make some good points. From an economic perspective (which is always the most important for a company), there are far bigger markets out there than the relatively niche market of 17" laptops. I emailed Purism about 17" laptops last year, and they confirmed they had no plans to produce one any time soon. It’s worth noting, though, that while the market share of 17" laptops is lower than with other sizes, the margins are greater.