1TB micro SD card supported?

So I was linked this article by a friend;

Can the Librem 5 be reasonably expected to support cards up to this size? If so, that’ll go a long way towards making the stock storage size a complete non-issue.

Can’t believe we’re seeing micro SD cards this size hit the market, what a time to be alive.

1 Like
3 Likes

It can use up to 2TB, can easily expand storage space using microSDHC or microSDXC cards up to 2TB as stated by Nintendo official.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if Nintendo is relevant (although, yes, NES emulator will be installed at some point) but… has anyone (@lipu, @dos?) tested how big SD card the L5 accepts - what are you using? @amosbatto had the specs but can we get empirical facts on this?

1 Like

Sorry, I haven’t checked that. I use a 32 GB card, so probably very far from the maximum capacity, and I’m not currently in need of anything close to 1 TB on any of my gadgets.

I’m using a 256GB card with my Librem 5 without any issues. I don’t have any higher capacity cards here to test, but I’m not aware of any size limits there, so I’d expect 1TB cards to work as well.

3 Likes

I will probably use ext4 with one partition for myself, but I am wondering, would there be any restrictions on what filesystem or how the SD card is partitioned? I don’t see why there would be…

It’s just a GNU/Linux computer. My SD card currently has 6 partitions on it, with some of them containing other operating system installations :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

It can support 2TB

External Storage: microSD ( 2TB max )

5 Likes

Thanks for confirming. Unfortunately, I cannot even search for > 1TB SD Cards on NewEgg: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007962%20600497138%20601342702%20600555970%20601334278

But man, am I excited to have my whole music library on my phone and not just the 8-10 albums at a time I can currently fit on my Android.

Edit: And have room like @dos said to hold other distros to boot from.

2 Likes

2TB microSD card in a Linux phone … what a great time to become like Batman

Nor Amazon. Nor other places I have looked.

However if I found one, I don’t think I would like the price. Almost as much again as the phone itself? :frowning: I will be happy with 1TB or even 512GB (which are both available, and both more or less affordable).

I don’t know what “support” means unless it has been tested.

For the highest power of 2, that is within the theoretical range, to work it does require no crappy software / firmware / hardware that interprets an unsigned value as a signed value - and lots of other things can go wrong besides.

The FAQ has info on what cards should theoretically be supported.

2 Likes

yes they are likely to cost an arm and a leg but what would you say if i told you that there are some variants of the same model and size that are marketed as ‘long-lasting’ and ‘for-harsh-environments’ that also get less warm and have better write life cycles … they are twice as much usually. that means both arms and both legs :rofl:

2 Likes

That’s savage…can’t wait to get mine.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/2tb-micro-sd-card/s?k=2tb+micro+sd+card

Read the reviews on Amazon of one suspiciously cheap high capacity µSDXC card (I forget which one but either 512GB or 1TB) and all the reviews are saying that the card simply doesn’t work! You would be buying a relatively expensive small rectangle of plastic, but don’t expect to use it to store data other than what you might handwrite on it. LOL.

I’ll be sticking with a mainstream brand at a credible, if higher, price from a reputable seller.

1 Like

SanDisk is a pretty good brand isn’t it? This is Best Buy-good reviews. it’s on Amazon also- who cares what their reviews say , it’s a good card right?

That’s because the current highest-capacity, commercially available microSD card is 1 TB.

Best Buys is like $250! Thank God I don’t need anywhers near that much. Eventually price will drop to something like $49.99! What a ripoff