A few questions about Librem Chat

I’ve been using the entire bundle now for some time. I have had multiple issues related to signing up for accounts that I was told were taken that weren’t, not being able to register and some other things that now appear to have resolved themselves. Bugs in a new product I figure and good support that got me to the bottom of things.

My question relates to chats where a person’s post may be encrypted with one post (padlock icon) and then in a subsequent post their post will have a yellow triangle, presumably not encrypted. Similarly for no reason text will be rendered in red for some posts, but not others, for reasons I can’t fathom. All of the devices involved have been verified etc with encryption turned on etc.

I have looked through the documentation and I can’t find a legend telling me what the different symbols and text colours mean, let alone why something is encrypted for one post but not others.

If someone can throw light on this I’d appreciate it. I don’t want to bug support with this especially if there is a place in the documentation I can refer to.

The Librem Chat phone apps are based on Riot, so you may find more documentation there.

My first guess for inconsistent encryption display would be if there were different, unverified devices, but if you’ve ruled that out, then I dunno.

In particular:

Thanks for that link to Riot. I’ll check it out.

If anyone is interested I found out that the yellow triangle means that someone is blacklisted which is weird as everyone in my groups have been verified. It may be a continuation of the issue I was having with needing to re-verify devices over and over. I thought that this had stopped for me but it is clearly still an issue. So simply re-verifying that person’s device via legacy removed them from the blacklist and got rid of the triangle.

Still no idea why the font colour changes to red for no obvious ( to me ) reason.

Did they happen to mention you directly with an @ in the red-text messages or anything? I’ve seen red text in messages where I’ve been mentioned, so that it highlights messages where I am directly called out.

1 Like

By Jove,
That’s it! Just did a test with name and there it is. Mystery for me solved. Thank you for your reply!

2 Likes