A free TV with 24/7 surveillance built in

3 Likes

Mmm, let me see. A TV in every house, on 24x7, with microphone and video camera. It seems vaguely familiar, as if I might have read a book that refers to that setup ā€¦ :wink:

I wonder whether you can somehow disable the secondary TV. Or firewall out the ā€œphone homeā€ (if all you want to do is watch FTA - or you watch only content coming in to the ā€œfreeā€ TV via HDMI).

Did someone with a sense of irony choose the track that is currently playing on the secondary TV (in the second image)?

5 Likes

What a time to be alive.

2 Likes

Yes, we are now reaching Minority Report levels of targeting advertising.

1 Like

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Hmm, with devices like Alexa and Android people already have such spies in their living rooms. I guess you all know reports of Alexa recorded bed activities or people wanted to get their data (European data protection laws) and got data from other people recorded by the own device.

The only new thing on this device is, that the people will have less control about it and that it force advertisement ā€¦ but itā€™s a movement of the whole industry (look at Windows 10, 11 and for sure later versions). However, you also can disable it via cutting it from power after using it. Still better then smart home fantasies where you canā€™t disable all devices anymore (else you cannot benefit from having something ā€œsmartā€ to control with your smartphone).

Edit: But just to be clear: :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

The article states that customers will be billed for the TV if they disable the ad functionality; that might include cutting the power for extended periods.

And yes, almost the entire U.S. tech industry is moving toward this business model, it seems.

1 Like

Reminds me of the ā€˜dumb terminalsā€™ of a few ages ago. Humans accessed the terminal that ran between terminal and workstation.
The new version of workstations, now called Smart(anyhting) (TVs, mobi-phones, fridges, cars, cameras, elevators etcetera) are communicating with the dumb.

3 Likes

Get well soon, @fralb5. :slight_smile:

I feel like I need to throw a movie reference in too but at least I managed a book reference.

The problem though is your government. If itā€™s within the law, companies should and will do it. You canā€™t expect them not to. Maybe they even have to do it in order to be competitive. The government in Europe at least makes the right noises. (My government is as useless as the US government as far as privacy is concerned.)

3 Likes

I set up a account on Twitter and for about 2 weeks lurched around dev tech and elections.

After 3-4 weeks, I realize that there is no intelligence, artificial or otherwise. If people arenā€™t beating each up over an opinion, theyā€™re beating up opinions.
At least the smiley icons are the same as here. Donā€™t know what that means :worried:
Itā€™s getting so if we want to view a manual and theyā€™re all online, we have to let the site snoop our History, note CP/APU/CPU & MACs.

I think it was Samsung flogged a TV that monitored peopleā€™s emotions by the look on their faces, especially during ads. If they were not engaging the ads, Samy brought in new ones. Lights, camera, sound = record and report.

How can anything be ā€œfreeā€ is one pays with their rights to privacy. I think the powers that be want us to think privacy is free to be abused.

Weā€™re doomed,
and before itā€™s said, A Pessimist is a Optimist with experience.
~s

That one was a movie, also. A quite good one, too.

1 Like

True. Conversely, Minority Report was a short story loooooonnnnnggggg before it was a film.

1 Like