A web server (Apache, nginx) on the Librem 5?

If I had to do this (and I wouldn’t!) then I would ssh from my phone to my VPS using a reverse listen (ssh -R). That is quick and dirty but it should do the job.

Performance would suck greatly but you wouldn’t expect great performance running a web server on a low power 4 core ARM anyway.

That would however just move the privacy problem from … do I trust remote.it (or whomever)? … to … do I trust the provider of the VPS?

You guys are in for a gas! Laugh it off as you can.

I tried out the VPN service and things seems to be quite swell (had a bit of VPN user experience before so yeah). Well, most VPN services include an (GUI) interface. Still, being a linux machine, CLI commands are still relevant to this day. I was just playing around and got a bit stuck on the port forwarding and (source) firewall tests. It appears that my lazy overlook of the VPN configurations, let the VPN firewall rule against non-VPN connections to be continually blocked! So when the app interface decided to freeze over just because it had a bad connection, I had to kill off the interface process.

Well, it’s just the interface that’s been killed off. The rest of the VPN mis-configurations still continue. I wanted to access the internet with normal service, but lo and behold, the VPN firewall rules say otherwise! I was in a scare that my computer was in a internet bricking. Naturally, I calmed down and managed to get the CLI to tear down that VPN firewall and was able to access the internet once again. It turns out that the VPN service somehow left the VPN connection on after the firewall teardown incident. It would appear that dismantling the GUI interface sprung a panic mode.

And that’s just the start of my port forwarding and firewall with VPN adventures.

So it has became apparent that VPNs in general don’t go for port forwarding. The options are really limited. I guess I have to make do with the normal internet network instead. Turns out that each Linux build could be its own machine.

While I was going over the steps (plus blunders) for the Librem 5, I found out that the overheat (I think it was due to high screen brightness settings) plus overload of program input, may cause the OS to slow down or lock up to a near brick state. I have to restart the device for normal operation amid the heat. Not to mention that switching the power states (most likely due to high screen brightness settings) may incur a shutdown. Upon lock, the phone substantially lower its temperature to a warm if not lukewarm level.

Also, using the real mouse and real keyboard feels so much better than the screen mouse and screen keyboard. All I can hope for is a monitor with USC-A and USB-C port type compatibility and my Librem 5 (with its hub and cables) is complete as a small desktop machine. Unfortunately, I have to deal with this USB Guard feature before that dream could come true. Sometimes, it doesn’t know when to quit. What gives? I will find a topic about this problem, but that’s for another time.

Took about 1 day and a half to get localhost HTTP website hosting setup up the first time!
Finally got the localhost HTTPS website running after a while (took about less than a day).

The next thing is the firewall blocking online access? Or rather to chase down IP address changes! We ain’t there yet? Well, as I said before, each Linux build may have its own rules so it may take a while!

Wait, I managed to get the HTTPS website online! It was completed around 2 days estimate including time before this post. And now for the obligatory exclamation. Woo!
As Neil Armstrong said, “That’s one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind.” Of course, to be neutral and objective, Yuri Gagarin quoted, “Orbiting Earth in the spaceship, I saw how beautiful our planet is. People, let us preserve and increase this beauty, not destroy it!”
I might have exaggerated about the success. There’s still room for improvement. One issue being the power supply. Another is the security and privacy of appending/transmitting such document(s). I’m sure there’s more issues to be addressed.

1 Like

Well, I got my power supply up and running. We will just see how the power fares for some time. Of course, overheating and programming issues can occur with the hosting service/hardware/software functions. I could only hope, by a gamble, that power is sustained long enough for the next recharge period and that the hosting service/hardware/software will sustain uptime long enough for the next rest period. I have considered 24/7 uptime, but the monetary, time, effort, overheat, and failure costs may rise overtime.

As for the status of the web server, it is like any web server on a desktop, but now hosted on a mobile wifi client device. Oh, that’s wifi connection than ethernet connection. It’s going to be a bit slow, kind of like 56k dialup? Well, we’ll see how it goes, we’ll see. :laughing:

As for proper safekeeping procedures.
Always check for keys before closing/locking lockbox/safe.
Always make sure keys are away from lockbox/safe after unlocking/opening lockbox/safe.
Always activate/authenticate computer/electronic device away from lockbox/safe.
Lockboxes/safes ought to have key required locking mechanism.
Haste makes waste.

There’s a lot going on in this thread and I apologize if this has already been covered, but my experience using mobile-based data networks (including mobile broadband on a phone as well as Verizon 5G Home internet) has been extremely underwhelming. Due to load-balancing on the cell tower (and the fact that I’m not willing to pay for a business-class-only option for a static IP), I have found in my region (US, PNW) that I’m only able to secure an external IP address for 1-3 days. This simply is not sustainable for a server configuration without automated A-record updates prior to any downtime. Please ping me if you have had success here; I’d be interested in testing out inexpensive mobile-based server options.

Hello JCS. Sorry about the delay. I thought that no one is interested in a mobile server host, or at least one to avert overheating conditions. I have been proofreading documents under the summer heat. Well, I’m here now.

Okay, your first problem is definitely the ever changing IP address(es). Unless you do not care about changing IP addresses, you do not have to worry about configuring IP address assignment to necessary services in a periodic cycle. Usually, MNOs (the cellular data service providers [smartphone internet/data network service provider]) don’t allow static IP address(es). The main purpose of cellular data is to provide internet access to mobile device clients/users.

Your second problem is whether your MNO/VPN/ISP network provides you the ability of port forwarding for modem/router/firewall interface. Without port forwarding, you may not have access to host services on the given IP address(es). Because of the vast expanse of cellular data service networks, MNOs generally do not allow port forwarding in order to protect its cellular data service network integrity. They just can’t afford the risk of malware attacks on a global scale. VPNs also do not allow port forwarding for the same reason. They are a privacy oriented service after all. The only port forwarding mechanism I can find are ISPs.

The inexpensive mobile-based/internet-based service that you seek might be the MVNOs. They are usually the customer of some major MNO turned into a minor business. I do not think they have the full capabilities as MNOs.
I am not sure what you mean by ping, but I thought I should let you know about my feedback.

1 Like

@JCS

This is how to ping/mention someone.

1 Like