Advice Needed: Should I Update Librem 14 PureBoot and EC? Bricking Risk Concerns

I have a Librem 14 that I purchased in 2022. It has the original PureBoot (Release 19) and EC firmware (will check on version later).

I’ve been reluctant to update it given a number of reports I’ve seen about firmware updates bricking machines. I rely heavily on my Librem 14, don’t have external flashing equipment, nor do I want to spend my time externally flashing my machine. However, I do want security updates. I don’t want to have to choose between an insecure system and significant risk of bricking a relatively expensive machine that I rely on, so I’m looking for some advice.

Does anyone know what’s causing firmware updates to brick others’ Librem 14s? Was this just an issue with a specific version, or user error? Can anyone point to a specific release that’s known to be stable and not brick peoples’ machines?

Another question I have is if I am able to successfully update PureBoot and the EC firmware, do I have to do anything after that? Last time I looked into this, several months ago, I thought you had to change something regarding GPG keys, TPM, or something else, but I’m not seeing anything like that in the documentation.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Citation(s) needed.

No.