Ajax.googleapis.com

What is this and why does it show up in ublock origin (firefox) on the purism store ?

It’s linked as a stylesheet (CSS) here

<link rel="stylesheet" id="jquery-ui-style-css" href="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.9.0/themes/base/jquery-ui.css?ver=4.9.16" type="text/css" media="all">

and this is the only occurence (and query) from the shop site.
As to why - no idea, it doesn’t pass any cookie (not at least for me) but would still generate hit and referer for google.

My default mode is to block every script that pertains to a Google product in any way, including doubleclick, unless I occasionally need to see something on YouTube. Then I allow it temporarily until I’m done watching.

If everybody blocked Google (and Facebook, of course) in their browsers, then maybe site managers would stop using them to run their pages, and more privacy would find its way into the web. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can dream, anyway.

4 Likes

Also just as a little hint here, you could use the GNU libreJS addon for Firefox-based browsers. This blocks non-free non-trivial JavaScript in the browser. jquery is free software so this should work when the problem is not Google getting your IP.

3 Likes

by default in the browser-select screen in ‘Software’ from PureOS-10-Byzantium(devel) all i see are :

from left to right > Falkon > qutebrowser > Web > Dillo > Luakit > Midori > NetSurf

FireFox is not in there by default due to Mozilla licensing (maybe ?)