Amber no longer providing regular updates

I am running a Librem Mini, v1, running on Amber. I noticed several weeks ago that ‘sudo apt update’ is not providing regular updates anymore. I don’t think running updates has provided anything new in several weeks.

Has Purism paused development in Amber in favor of Byzantium? Should I be seeing regular updates?

Shortly after Bullseye was released, I moved up from Amber, so I cannot remember what updates there were to that point. However, I got “stuck” too a while back. I was not getting updates, and there was a mismatch on a package between my version and Purism’s. I posted elsewhere:

I was finally able to make this work by erasing repo.puri.sm_pureos_dists_amber_main_binary-amd64_Packages in /var/lib/apt/lists and then doing an update.

You may want to try rebuilding that package list. After I did what I mentioned, I had a bunch of updates waiting, and things were back to normal.

Thanks Wayne,

I didn’t see anything with “repo.puri.sm” but I do have equivalents with “repo.pureos.net”.

I tried deleting repo.pureos.net_pureos_dists_amber_main_binary-amd64_Packages, repo.pureos.net_pureos_dists_amber-updates_main_binary-amd64_Packages, and repo.pureos.net_pureos_dists_amber-security_main_binary-amd64_Packages

I still am not getting any updates listed.

How did you update to byzantium? It is simply changing “amber” to “byzantium” in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then doing an update?

change byzantium
sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
fix all conflicts,
reboot
apt full-upgrade
again fix all conflicts hold packages
that’s it
regular debian upgrade

Thanks @NineX

The Mini is now running on Byzantium :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m still on PureOS 9 (Amber) on a Librem 15v4, and the last update from that repository was Aug 11 (a Bluetooth update) [Correction: Aug 14 (a security update for package libexiv2-14)]. I check daily, and since then there’s been nothing until just now on Sept 9. I see a 24-package update of various applications and libraries.[Update: after the 24-package update, I’m still on PureOS 9 :slightly_smiling_face:]

Glad @NineX was able to help. I got stuck on the upgrade with a -dev package and his suggestions helped me too.

90% of upgrade problems is actual packages being hold.
most of thsoe packages are -dev packages (required to compile stuff)
you can simply uninstall them, then later reinstall.
this process is not always easy, sometimes have to use brutal force to solve conflicts of packages, but this is not windows. even if you break system and make it unbotable, you can always boot from livecd , mount filesystem chroot into broken system and fix it.
that require some determination some times.
if any of you have troubles, copy paste your apt update status and call me in. i will be happy to help you sort issue :slight_smile: