Anbox on Byzanthium

I expect it to be easily installable sometime in October.

8 Likes

Awesome! We are waiting for the completion!

1 Like

@dos, can you share instructions on how to install and configure Waydroid on Librem 5?

1 Like

Let me reiterate:

I expect it to be easily installable sometime in October.

I have already shared some instructions in another thread, so you can find them if you want to, but I really don’t recommend following them just yet unless you’re capable of dealing with anything that can go wrong in the process by yourself.

5 Likes

This is so awesome. Keep up the awesome work.

1 Like

I am having challenges with bringing up Waydroid GUI on Librem 5. Looks like mesa is not getting setup properly.

@dos, can you comment if install instruction at https://docs.waydro.id/usage/install-on-desktops for Debian/Bullseye will work on Librem 5?

It won’t. Several components inside and outside Waydroid need to be patched, which is why I recommend waiting until next month when I expect all that stuff to find its place in the repositories.

4 Likes

@dos, Thanks, I will wait for an update

@dos, you can choose not to answer my question since it is not really related to Librem 5 software.

I followed this link to install Waydroid on my Librem 5; https://source.puri.sm/-/snippets/1195

Other than the kernel, I installed all other components. Waydroid gets installed. When I start it, there is a annoying pop-up; “Trebuchet has stopped”. After that the Waydroid UI keeps restarting and with the same pop-up message.

Did you also see this issue? If so, can this be addressed easily or as you suggested, wait till October?

Thanks much in advance for answering (I know you will :slight_smile:)

That’s something that happens on upstream images when using software rendering. Sounds like you might have followed some other instructions earlier and don’t really have the configuration described by what I wrote.

Also:

Other than the kernel

You’re going to have a bad time :stuck_out_tongue: There’s a reason why these components have to be installed together and it’s not just about getting Waydroid to work.

1 Like

@dos, I was excited with your video (https://www.reddit.com/r/Librem5/comments/x5n82n/waydroid_running_on_the_librem_5/). As shown in the video, Waydroid appears to be more smooth and stable compared to Anbox. This appears to be a solution for missing Apps for Librem 5.

I tried to use instructions from this link; https://source.puri.sm/-/snippets/1195 but as you mentioned on dependencies now have a messed up Librem 5 since I am not able to install the 5.19 patches kernel. The Waydroid UI comes up but keeps crashing and restarting.

Can you provide instructions on how to install the patched kernel ( https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux/-/merge_requests/621 ) on Librem 5?

It may be better to let the poor guy get on with his work so that we can all have Waydroid, officially released, integrated, working, not requiring advanced hacking skills, …

4 Likes

It’s getting there. Last of my tweaks to embedded Android images has been merged upstream today. There’s more that needs to be done still, but that was the most important (and hardest to build by yourself) thing.

4 Likes

Let us really behave and not abuse the help from Dos he is kindly offering. He explicitly asked several times that people who can’t debug everything himself/herself should wait.
And just as a reminder - waiting does not mean to start asking on 01.10.2022 at 00:00.
I am sure that when he is ready, he will tell us. And if he is silent, this means that he is not ready yet.

6 Likes

@dos, any further update on the Waydroid front?

1 Like

I am wondering what the likelyhood when this is done that the android will be able to talk to the bluetooth hardware at some point (I have a bluetooth garage door app called GarageMate that I would love to be able to use ).

I am also eagerly awaiting this. Thanks @dos Having f-droid helps a long way to making the Librem 5 more usable for me.

Thank you so much for the amazing job @dos :+1:
I can barely believe my eyes! :sweat_smile: Android, in a Linux container, on my new favourite phone!

• At first glance, it looks like microphone integration is working since I could record stuff inside Waydroid, but no camera integration… yet? :smirk:
  • Also, Waydroid seems to automatically create .desktop files inside ~/.local/share/applications/ with each APK installed. But the shortcuts are not showing on Phosh… yet? :smirk:

I’ll be playing around with the settings to see what can be done. Thanks again for your precious work. :pray:

2 Likes
  • At first glance, it looks like microphone integration is working since I could record stuff inside Waydroid, but no camera integration… yet? :smirk:

Yes and yes. The container is able to connect to host’s PulseAudio. Android doesn’t know what to do with our cameras though and it isn’t likely to change anytime soon.

• Also, Waydroid seems to automatically create .desktop files inside ~/.local/share/applications/ with each APK installed. But the shortcuts are not showing on Phosh… yet? :smirk:

I have intentionally patched Waydroid to make those shortcuts hidden because the “full UI” mode you get from the “Waydroid” shortcut works pretty well now, while launching individual apps directly still has some rough edges.

For the record, here are up-to-date instructions:

2 Likes

As another option, try Yet Another Tox:

There are binaries for aarch64 available for download.
Text works just fine, but I have an issue with A/V calls. (They only work on my laptop in amd64 version.)