Anyone Successfully Run WayDroid on Librem 5?

@jonsger

No success for me. I get the gray screen forever and it never launches - I tried waiting for many minutes and locking and unlocking the phone. But I haven’t tried in a bit.

In any case, I will need the Android app at least to get it set up, because I forgot my account password. =)))

1 Like

it depends. If you don’t know, it is safer not to.

2 Likes

I did exactly the same.:sweat_smile: it was eating a bit of CPU as well.

1 Like

By the way, did anyone achieve to pass through one of the Librem 5 cameras to the Waydroid container? It would be so helpful to be able to make video calls or to access some banking apps which rely on face recognition. Currently only audio calls are possible since Waydroid can access host microphone.

Same question with Bluetooth devices…? :sweat_smile: I know, I’m asking a lot today.

3 Likes

OMG face recognition sounds awful for banking.

My bank upgraded the 2FA application to a version that does not support rooted phones (so basically not good in my Cosmo and also doesn’t work in Lineage).

Thankfully, I have periodic backups from my Cosmo and managed to grab the previous version. The other day, I got an SMS asking me to kindly upgrade the application.

Not only the application will not run in a rooted phone, but it also “scans my phones for threats” and asks for root privileges, location, etc…

I’d be ready to start a war with my bank (or change bank) if forced to use an application for 2FA that does face recognition, plus only runs in iOS or Android. As long as there are other banks in the world…

5 Likes

@dos says

Android doesn’t know what to do with our cameras though and it isn’t likely to change anytime soon.

@dcz says

[…] video stream to send over the internet must be encoded. Encoding needs lots more compute power.

… so I wouldn’t be too hopeful on that point. However I saw somewhere (not in this forum, maybe on Stack Overflow?) that we can take a local image (or video?) file and make Android (the post was specifically talking about WayDroid) believe it’s a camera. At least for QR codes for 2FA apps that should be enough.

2 Likes

I think it is my turn to have waydroid not working after an update.
It is a couple of weeks ago it broke. When I try to launch waydroid nothing happens.

I was used to use my trick as I described earlier in the thread, but this trick does not work anymore.

Anyone having experience in getting it working again?

2 Likes

Try this. sudo systemctl start waydroid-container

2 Likes

I had a same error a long time ago as i did the update within waydroid (until i had the problem).
I recommend to always use the terminal and sudo waydroid upgrade when you see the update alert. That works always good since i do that. You could maybe even do it now. May it solves the problem.

2 Likes

I tired to do this

but it seems that it did not really do any difference. At least not that I could spot.

Then I recalled that @Bearserker used this trick, and fortunately I had my USB hub right next to me.
I plugged it in and waydroid finally started.

I updated waydroid inside the container and now it works really great. Even much better than before.

I guess that this command might be the real solution if it possible to force update waydroid from the “outside” or how to phrase it. I’ll try to do this if I encounter the problem again. I got it to work before I saw this. So I have not been able to test if this it the real trick.

1 Like

You should do this INSTEAD of updating from inside.
I use this command also if tthere is no more internet connection. It stops and restarts the container and launch’s automatically the GUI.

I recommend to activate the ‘seedvault’ backup in parameters and sync the backup folder with syncthing or something else, so that you simply reinstall all apps and many apps data. To reinstall I wrote a script on this forum.

1 Like

I’m just curious. Whats the difference and why prefer this approach?
I haven’t work a lot with Waydroid, so I’m still pretty new in this area.

Do you have a pointer do this?

1 Like

Is anyone else having trouble getting internet access in waydroid?

I’ve already re installed the app/image, rebooted, tried toggling the ethernet teathering, tried applying the code:

waydroid prop set persist.waydroid.fake_wifiwaydroid prop set persist.waydroid.fake_wifi *F-Droid’

although, I’m not sure if I got it right and I still can’t get any internet service of any kind within waydroid.

Is there anything else I can check or do to it?

1 Like

The difference is because if it does not work after update inside, i am not sure if it may brick the waydroid image. With the command sudo waydroid upgrade you are sure to success.

My script to reinstall Waydroid is here : Curious case of Waydroid (on Librem 5)

1 Like

FWIW: Your mileage clearly varies, but I have upgraded via the WayDroid update tool (as opposed to the sudo waydroid upgrade command) 3-4 times successfully so far without corruption. All I know right now is that I used the WayDroid package from the Purism CI artifacts as previously linked, and I tend to be very good at keeping packages updated.

1 Like

@dos so I’ve question for you: I’m using smart ring that requires Bluetooth to data transfer to the app and no app for L5. I installed it into Waydroid but you written no Bluetooth allowed in Waydroid. So how to solve it? Is it a current limitation and it’d be allowed in the future or no chance due to security stuff?
Please let me know, thank you :slightly_smiling_face::pray:

2 Likes

It’s basically not implemented. The Android system inside the container has no access to Bluetooth services running on the host OS. Someone would have to write an Android driver that would communicate with host’s Bluez. I’m not aware of existence of any such implementation so far.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, Waydroid doesn’t have access to camera and microphone of the main system yet, once it does, I can afford to migrate completely to the Librem 5.

1 Like

I can confirm that it has microphone access. To download the right way use
Anyone Successfully Run WayDroid on Librem 5?

1 Like

That’s good news, as I’ve been busy and haven’t checked for it.

1 Like