Another Scroll bar width question

OFF TOPIC But:

Do the Devs or admins of this forum program know that if someone leaves a link, and people click the link, it is only counted if the people open the link in the same window they are in? I opened them in a new tab, and the count doesn’t change. Make that 3 clicks and hidden 4th for your link.

S

IMO:
When there is a scroll bar; it’s there for a reason other than as a useless visual skinny-mini ‘catch-me-if-you-can’ game. I get enough of that playing Google’s reCaptcha puzzles.

If the Devs for Ubi, Pop, Pure, and so on don’t want us to use a scroll bar, they should just remove it, otherwise stop being so self-centered using design by not-looking-like-the-other-guy. Come to think of it, if we want to see Linux -stuff- really take off, it wouldn’t be by making it so different and cumbersome that the learning curve is harder than it needs be.

There should be no shame in looking like the other guys.

@amarok

P.S. Example of a visual cue that seems to have died a rapid death, despite its utility: skeuomorphicly designed “buttons.”

Reads like MSM (AKA tabloids) since it (scroll bar) hasn’t died a rapid death.

It worked, why did they have to fix it? That’s M$ job!

~s~

1 Like

Agreed. I just discovered that Okular has a setting that lets you completely turn off the scrollbars. The entire page becomes the scrollbar. Great idea. I don’t have my Librem 5 yet to see how well Okular works on a phone.

BTW, I updated my original post.

Have you tried the configuration changes that @amarok showed? Then you can make at least the GNOME applications have the scrollbar width that you desire. KDE applications might also have a similar setting, but I have not checked. One of the beauties of GNU/Linux is that you can change anything. Of course, it’s easier if it’s a GUI setting or a config file. Apple and Micro$oft do not allow you to change many things.

1 Like

Agreed. With a long page, clicking the scrollbar is far faster than madly scrolling a wheel and tiring your scrolling finger.

Edited my original post to reflect this.

I tested Okular a while back: List of Apps that fit and function well [Post them here.]

Yes, I have tried, but I need permission to access the folder. Planning on looking that up later today.

~s~
edited to correct bug in post program.

It’s easier to do in the terminal (because sudo). Just follow the instructions in the link I posted.

Or you can open .config as administrator (right-click on the folder and choose that option) from your file manager. Then you should be able to save the css file. Be extremely careful, of course.

Curiosity Question: Can one drag the screen down to the bottom of the screen, and while cursor sites at bottom, screen continues to scroll? Or, does one need to scroll the page down, move cursor to top, move down, and repeat? The finger on the mouse scroll can only scroll what the finger can do and finger needs to lift, press, drag again and again… I often end up with a sore finger and have to start using my middle finger and heavy traffic already made it sore.

OPINION: I find dragging the scroll bar (not using the mouse scroll) will take me from the top of any page to the bottom without lifting the mouse. The bar seems to accommodate any page height. Too, I can hold the scroll bar at the bottom and it will continue to scroll without lifting the finger.

I think that is where the new ‘trend’ is going - to mimic a cell-for-prisoners :slight_smile: Some Devs obviously think cells are the only thing left. We went from tiny desktop screens at dumb terminals, to bigger and better 60" screens. Computers got bigger and faster and along come leashes disguised as phones with micro-screens. Swipe made touchscreens easier to use. Now, the kids that were born with a IP address develop what they know and love - no matter what size it is.
Swiping a small, tiny, screen will move more than a swipe with a mouse on a 30" monitor.

Lastly, the problem I see with new -stuff-, is that it’s all about kiddie-kewl with logic, ease of use, and short learning curve last on the priority list. Software Devs are running out of productivity, speed, and bling and so major upgrades usually just address known bugs, and change the icons, move them around, make text gigantic, adhere WordPress’s latest fads and up sell their product - again. Like a clothing store. Same clothes, they just move departments around, new signage, change the lighting, and it’s like a new store. Same dress, same people, same product - just a new front.

I lol’d at this :slight_smile: Must be ipv6 though.

I think I agree with the general sentiment, people get used to small devices, and when they grow up, they try to use the same UI on the big devices, even if big devices already figured it out before. As an oldster, I find it exhausting, limiting, and inconvenient.

The point about the store is also important. Documents and connections are taking a back seat to branding. But that’s not a matter of form factors but commercialization I think.

I’ve used this analogy before, but what the linux GUI designers often do is like if a new car designer put the steering wheel of a car in the back seat, right behind a headrest. “We can’t make it look like a Ford or Chevy. Our look needs to be unique”. So they do something stupid to get that unique look by creating stupid features to replace valuable features that they remove, or just by removing a valuable feature and not replacing it at all.

Another stupid move was to remove the Desktop in some linux distros. You can usually find a way to get the Desktop back by finding and installing extensions. But they shouldn’t have removed such a valuable feature in the first place. Next up, square wheels for that car. “Nobody has ever done that before. It’s a new look… anything to be unique and different from the other guy.”

The last thing the over-fourty group needs these days are super-narrow scroll bars.

I don’t really agree with this. Maybe small time applications, but that’s rare. Instead, I’ve often heard “everyone is doing this”, “this looks modern”, “that looks like it’s from the '90s”, quite the opposite from what you’re saying. This was on the occasion of replacing grids with lists (phone influence?), no ability to apply custom themes (web? commercialization?), single-window mode only (phone again? commercialization?), notification centers instead of a highlighted taskbar entry (phones?), booting custom window icons (no idea why tho). There is experimentation, but not a lot of it in the mainstream.

It sounds like you are trying to edit:
/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
instead of:
~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
where ~ is your home directory. You will have full rights to files in your home directory.

/.config doesn’t exist with a default PureOS install, which brings me to a few questions:

1. Are you on a Purism computer (Librem) or some other brand?
  2. Is it a shared computer, meaning there is more than one user who logs in, or are you the only one?
  3. What version of PureOS are you running? If you have PureOS 9, in the upper right menu, the settings icon is a crossed screwdriver & wrench. In PureOS 10 there will be just the word “Settings”.

Here’s what the upper right menu looks like in PureOS 9:
Settings_PureOS_9
In PureOS 10 it will be like this, though I don’t actually have PureOS 10 yet, but it’s based on Debian 11, which is what this screen shot is from:
Settings_Debian_11

I think it’s my fault… I started by describing how to do it within the file manager app, rather than in the terminal.

Already with gedit (Text Editor) 3.30.2 under PureOS 9, when you open a file long enough to need scrollbars, you will see a thin scrollbar on the right. If you scroll with a mouse wheel, trackpad, trackball, etc., it moves to give you visual feedback. If you mouse over it, it gets wider so you can grab it. I’m way over 40 as well, but this is brilliant design that does two things:

1. Make the scrollbar thin to get a wider display width (super important on the Librem 5 but also appreciated on bigger screens) while providing visual feedback while scrolling without using the scrollbars.
  2. Make the scrollbar wider if you cursor over it so you can grab it and use it directly if you want to.

Of course, widths (and probably more) are configurable, as @amarok pointed out.

To continue with opinions and flames about what we don’t like, especially after given options to fix whatever that is, is to descend into what @mladen refers to in the forum rules as bikeshedding.

Thanks! I use Okular for annotating PDF files because it has options that Evince doesn’t and it handles very large PDF files that Evince (Document Viewer) has trouble with (unless you tweak a memory setting). I’m using the Amber repository versions under PureOS 9, but I might check out the versions in Debian 11 Bullseye in preparation for PureOS 10.

Maybe the older programmers still feel the pain from the “look and feel” lawsuits?

If the scroll bar gets wider when you mouse-over, I can see that changing everything, especially on the Librem 5.

I see it’s a difficult thing, this _avoiding looking like the other O/Ss (sacrifice some logic) _ and a sensible (IMO) width for a scroll bar is not happening without ‘intervention’, so I’ll just buy a smaller mouse. :slight_smile:

~s~

Hi @nochelibre

This is about Pure OS 9. It runs on a 5-boot HP- Z400 Workstation 5 drives, no SSD. They are:

• Windows 10
  • Mint
  • Pure OS
  • Pop OS
  • Ubuntu 20.04 (died after upgrade.)

But don’t show up in that order at boot.

This is about Pure, and I imagine the others could be fixed in a similar way - sans Windows of course.

Only one person has access. The most I know about Pop and others is how to spell their names :slight_smile:

Screwdriver. If it means anything, when I click the screwdriver/settings It displays “Gnome Version 3.30.02”

I have a separate Windows 7 desktop that I use for gaming, Internet and email until I’m more capable to swap out to a Linux based system.

I hesitate to get the L14 because of some of the recent feedback’s, as I did have my eyes set on the now disowned L15. IMO, L5 is a genius-at-large, but as with all geniuses, they have some inherent quirks. When ever possible, I’ll wait 30 - 60 days before installing updates and take the old update. That way, I’m not wasting my time as a free beta tester irked by bugs.
~s~