Any chances for support for really decentralized and censorship resistant networking like twister?

I’ve seen someone advertising Mastodon (and Librem One?) as a good alternative to twitter, but it seems lacking at best. Not only is the fediverse now fractured so the promise of:
On Librem One you see the posts from the people you want to see posts from – your friends, family, news sites and favorite celebrities.
not possible to upkeep as a lot of people will be on banned instances that are meme instances or similar that don’t care about mastodon.social guidelines/coc and get banned by it, it’s just a failed idea of a network where every part of it breaks apart from the rest. Twister on the other hand seems ideal, you can’t censor anyone as their nick and public key are in the blockchain everyone shares, you have to sub to someone to see their feed, so no need to ban people from speaking, everyone is sharing a torrent of their feed, if you follow someone you also are their peer. Fully decentralized, fully censorship proof, also works through tor if someone prefers to not be IP identifiable. Any chance purism would support such networks instead of the ban-happy fediverses of mastodon?

2 Likes

If it is truly decentralized, what specifically would Purism have to do?

What you describe does seem to have quite a few desirable features. However the essence of open source is that people do what they want to do. Noone is stopping you using Twister. Against that though are the problems of critical mass and interoperability.

1 Like

Well that’s the problem, mastodon is ‘supported’ by all the gnu community while noone mentions the issues that come from biggest instance banning smaller instances based on its own rules, so the whole network is fractured from the start. Twister cannot have this issue, there is no way to be ‘the biggest fish in the pond’ and force smaller ones into acting in a specific way, it’s just a properly decentralized network where you cannot defederalize anyone. Mastodon seems like a failed experiment, yet purism advertises itself with the Librem One on mastodon, will purism instance allow meme instances to fix it? Can you even fix it? Pretty sure biggest mastodon instance will ban them if they do not ban meme instances. The whole paradigm is broken

If Twister is truly decentralized, what specifically would Purism have to do?

Nothing except making sure it compiles on the phone (or can be provided as flatpak/whatever) and maybe not supporting censored networks like mastodon while claiming you can connect to anyone using same protocol, while we all know mastodon is fragmented as hell

OK.

Something to look at when we have the phone.

I managed to compile it on jolla, but the newer libboost does actually mess things up, we’ll see what the versions are once it releases or is there an SDK/emulator with release software we can already test?

I don’t have any experience with it but I believe that both a development board and an emulator exist. I suspect that you can’t buy the development board any more. ??

Yeah would be interested in running the SDK, don’t really have spare money to buy a board just for the same. Pretty sure there is an image out there, just no idea if it is finalized (or to put it differently prety sure it’s not). Twister compiled fine on jolla by 3.0.3 but they updated libboost in 3.0.3 (or 3.1?), so while in theory yeah you should be able to build it at any point in time, if your glibc is decade old don’t even worry about libboost. Would be cool to see the toolchain they put out in the release though

So the emulator is probably the way to go.

You can find the documentation here: https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Development_Environment/Boards/qemu.html

1 Like

I’ve been interested in this for sometime. The most promising solution that I’ve found is from Secushare (https://secushare.org/) and GNUnet.

secushare employs GNUnet for end-to-end encryption and anonymizing mesh routing (because it has a more suitable architecture than Tor or I2P) and applies PSYC on top (because it performs better than XMPP, JSON or OStatus) to create a distributed social graph. Together, these technologies allow for distributed private social networking including more straightforward and secure e-mail, chat, exchange of content and a private web. It could even work out as a safer choice for the Internet of Things.

The GNUnet (https://gnunet.org) project aims to replace the current IP/TCP stack that is insecure by it’s nature with a distributed and privacy respecting communication protocol.

GNUnet is a new network protocol stack for building secure, distributed, and privacy-preserving applications. With strong roots in academic research, our goal is to replace the old insecure Internet protocol stack.

GNUnet is being developed by researchers and the software is in alpha so it’s only useful for developers at this stage. Whilst, Secushare is still in the research phase and has no software yet.

There are some good videos that detail how GNUnet (and Secushare) works here:
https://gnunet.org/en/video.html

Secushare has a very comprehensive comparison of the various communication technologies available and suggests best practices with currently available software (https://secushare.org/comparison). Twister is mentioned as a promising solution by Secushare, but they have not looked at it in detail yet.

Even though there is no immediate replacement for facebook, gmail, twitter, whatsapp, etc from GNUnet/Secushare. I hope those who have the technical skills and the desire to stop the surveillance, commodification, suppression and censorship of the rest of humanity. To have a look at the projects and help if you can. This would be of great benefit to everyone, not just the Librem 5.

2 Likes

i think it’s related > Is ProtonMail blocked in Belarus? - ProtonMail Blog

if they can pull the plug on a whole country then this means that we do need decentralization but in the absence of a physical decentralized mesh network how can you really protect against something like this ?

i mean true physical decentralization would mean a few billion connection matrix … with unreal costs involved ?

Regarding GNUnet

2 Likes

Hi @t3sserakt,

This is fantastic news!

I hope you get your Librem 5 soon :grinning: