Any Plans for a new Librem15 in the works? (Also a few other things)

Just thought I’d ask, because it kinda seems like Librem15 is the oldest hardware-wise. I think you guys could bump-up to making a quad-core Skylake processor an option. I’d buy in a heartbeat if you had Skylake/Kabylake and the faster memory associated with it as options. My understanding is that Skylake was made to be affordable and they’re pretty cheap compared to the older ones, not to mention less power-consuming. I would think that maybe you might want to get into putting those into the Librem15.

Also, what’s the benefit of “airgapping” the system anyhow? I mean, you include a hardware kill-switch for the WiFi correct? As in, the wireless card isn’t even powered if you turn that off, right? So… what benefit would there be to not having a wireless card at all? Sounds like it just deprives you of being able to turn it on if you need it somewhere (even though I’d use a cable whenever possible).

Lastly, just a few last suggestions:

• Try getting into selling pre-configured routers as well. I’d probably bite for a Purism-approved router that’s outfitted with LibreCMC, DD-WRT, Tomato, OpenBSD, so whatever it is you think is truly the best among them.

• Maybe a Purism phone as well? The only things I’m aware of thus-far for secure phones are the BlackPhone, Ubuntu Phones, or if you’re cool with giving everything up far as apps go apparently just using an old Nokia is best. Still, would be nice to see a Purism smartphone for apps and stuff to use on WiFi-with-VPN-only.

• Would love to see a 17-inch laptop selectable. Maybe you could start carrying one as your “higher-end” laptop line. 17-inch has just always been my preffered form-factor I guess, but I know you have your monetary/business reasons for not having one yet.

• Would love to see more hardware options. I mean, I know you weren’t making more powerful machines because less people buy them, but having them as options and just ordering the parts when a buyer wants them wouldn’t be terrible right? Unless, I guess, the Librem is incompatible with that for whatever reasons…

Anywho, just thought I’d toss all that out there. Thanks!

1 Like
Just thought I’d ask, because it kinda seems like Librem15 is the oldest hardware-wise. I think you guys could bump-up to making a quad-core Skylake processor an option. I’d buy in a heartbeat if you had Skylake/Kabylake and the faster memory associated with it as options. My understanding is that Skylake was made to be affordable and they’re pretty cheap compared to the older ones, not to mention less power-consuming. I would think that maybe you might want to get into putting those into the Librem15.

Librem 13 is going to be upgraded to skylake, and we plan to upgrade next revision of Librem 15s, too.

Also, what’s the benefit of “airgapping” the system anyhow? I mean, you include a hardware kill-switch for the WiFi correct? As in, the wireless card isn’t even powered if you turn that off, right? So… what benefit would there be to not having a wireless card at all? Sounds like it just deprives you of being able to turn it on if you need it somewhere (even though I’d use a cable whenever possible).

Some customers may require this, and since it doesn’t take much time/resources, we provide this.

Lastly, just a few last suggestions:

Thanks for the suggestions. Phone is planned (currently in research phase: https://puri.sm/?s=phone), and we may consider other form factors once we grow more.

Pre-configured routers is really a nice idea, I would love to see this myself. <- Actually, we have this on our roadmap.

Okay, thank you very much. Glad you take suggestions seriously. The only thing other than all of that I could come up with is starting a VPN service but I thought that’d be way too ambitious and that’s more of a problem for network experts/enthusiasts rather than Purism’s field of study/work I figure, so leave that to other companies I guess.

Yeah I’d definitely get a router, especially if you use ASUS routers to build upon because I really find them to be the best ones in build quality, functionality, and firmware (even though you’ll be changing that anyway).

Thanks for taking the suggestions. Think I may hold my order until the next Librem15 is announced. I’m not quite ready to purchase yet anyway, but hoping you’ll have it up by Summer or Fall this year.

Peace.

You can subscribe to our news blog here https://puri.sm/news/ to stay up-to-date.

1 Like

Oh wait, you guys probably plan to make your own routers don’t you? Yeah that’s even better of course. I kinda just assumed that might be a bit too crazy and you’re probably just going to work by flashing existing routers with a different firmware. Well, if you’re making your own then yeah just have at that, but if you’re going to use existing ones then keep my suggestion in mind I guess. High-end ASUS ones are the best by far in my experience, especially in the field of “Holy shit this router actually has pretty good firmware that gets updates far more frequently than others”, and it passes network security tests on several sites after configuration (though I’m considering getting Kali and getting more creative about testing for holes). On the flip-side, Belkin is by far the worst type I’ve ever worked with - hardly even working half the time.

However, it’s been a while since I’ve messed with many different routers. I hear that Linksys has made quite a comeback in speeds, and they have their “WRT” router line that claims to be “Open-Source ready”, so perhaps they’re the better option. I think I’d bring it down between Linksys and ASUS. I’ll bet Linksys’ normal firmware is still not nearly as good though, but I suppose in this discussion it’s a moot point anyway. But I’ll bet you’re making your own so I’m just babbling in case you’re not.

Is there anything you can do to modems as well? I mean I know ISPs will only work with certain ones anyway. But I thought maybe you could go with a modified Motorola Surfboard or something, one that’ll work as intended even though it’s been reviewed for privacy. I dunno if there’s really anything you can do to modems though to make them better privacy-wise, they’re generally a pretty straight-forward thing and most if not all security befalls the router right? Still, just thinking in terms of “I want to secure my entire network from computer up to the point that it leaves my house”.

Sorry, kinda rambling now. I know you guys have plenty on your plate already and will make good choices going forward.

Thanks.

You can subscribe to our news blog here https://puri.sm/news/ to stay up-to-date.

Okay, thanks. Yeah I’m pretty new to the project as you can tell. I was planning on upping security for ages but the CIA leaks kinda jolted me into wanting to do it even sooner. Not that it told me anything I (and most anyone that cares about the subject) didn’t already strongly suspect, but somehow having it all laid out in front of you as not just theory and suspicion but actual proven fact makes it even worse. “They’re in all your devices listening to literally everything and collecting data on everyone. They’re in your TVs man, IN YOUR TVs”. Yeah, kinda unnerving, even if you’re “not doing anything wrong”.

Lol, kinda reminds me of my late great grandparents who thought their old CRTs were spying on them. Yeah that was pretty laughable back then… but if only they could see how right they were to become in the future.

1 Like

I just got my new librem 15 v3 in the post a week ago, here are the specs it came with,

1 Like