Anyone Successfully Run WayDroid on Librem 5?

Yeah ! NewPipe is the best open-source YouTube client yet. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Yeh, I did run it successfully but uninstalled it. I figured I was trying to get away from android stuff by getting my L5’s with pureOS on it why do I need 'droid stuff on my phone. I can do with a little bit of inconvenience until more apps begin to populate the pureOS app store. Just went to show me how dependent I was on convenience.

I believe that we who expect convenience and security will have to sacrifice one for the other, especially in a digital world.

5 Likes

Yup…
So far, I only NEED Waydroid for my bank 2FA and for the application of my hometown’s DMV (you need the app to be able to generate a login for the webpage haha, then you don´t need the app anymore).

And I have signal there because I just gave up on figuring it out natively. I check my messages once per day.

1 Like

I’m encountering this same symptom, though I’m following your updated instructions that include this line.

Do you happen to know if there’s a newer link perhaps or maybe something else that has changed in this time?

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying playing with waydroid. In general I feel like it’s pretty responsive. The app to rent bikes here required google services so I figured out how to do that (not that I want to) and self certify it. Couple issues so far are video playback (instagram) and location services either don’t pass through or it’s just the curse of gps on the Librem 5. Never did get that bike app working in the end. :frowning: All the same very cool, and hoping things keep improving. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For sure you don’t want location services to pass through by default. However it is entirely possible that there is still work to be done to make that work anyway.

Obviously you can fault isolate that by verifying your location directly with GNSS on the phone i.e. natively, not inside the anti-spying container.

1 Like

I would agree with that, though I still need it for the bike share app. :frowning:

I have got a fix on my phone in the past using the terminal. At least I think it was a fix. I would not call GPS a good experience on the phone just yet though. So yah, I’m sure the phone itself wouldn’t have had it’s own fix (outside of wifi) while I was playing with it.

1 Like

For troubleshooting GPS I do recommend checking out what dos guided me through here: Is GPS supposed to work? - #14 by dos

It’s not perfect, but I do wonder if your experience stems from the same problems.

1 Like

Has anyone been able to configure MS Authenticator on Waydroid for using it with a corporate account? Does it work?

I haven’t tried it yet but will using GAPPS image instead of Vanilla image for Lineage OS work?

1 Like

A with most things, this has come up before and discussed at length. About authenticators and MS authenticator, see at least these three threads:

2 Likes

For me Waydroid is no option. Its a waste of money, energy, privacy and time. Just have some old lineageos for some not daily used apps by hand and in usage. For the Rest and Most of my privacy i have ma Librem5. The Android is offline, without battery if i not need to use it (like for social exchange - mostly over fediverse). Surveillance Code are stay in Alphabet/Apple/Meta/Microsoft Apps and will leak if you use it, so minimize the time for that and your own dependency on it. Apps are like your Car or public cameras… they snitching on you.

2 Likes

Any idea on how to get the landscape fullscreen working? The app does work amazingly otherwise, but every time I try to get the full landscape view, waydroid doesnt resize properly inside PureOS.

1 Like

You have to start the container with the L5 in landscape mode for Waydroid landscape mode to work😐

2 Likes

Well thats not a solution… Lol. But I appreciate the tip.

1 Like

I mean it’s a solution to the question you asked. It’s not a solution for getting waydroid to dynamically resize when rotated, but that wasn’t the question asked. Even if it could be inferred as the long term desire from the added context.

1 Like

Yes, I was able to do that. Initially I didn’t. Pretty sure all I did was:
sudo waydroid init -s GAPPS -f then followed Google Play Certification - Waydroid so I didn’t get relentless notifications.
(Sorry that’s just GAPPS working. I don’t know about the MS Authenticator)

1 Like

I tried that too. Although installation is not a issue, the MS Authenticator configuration does not go through. Thanks for the suggestion though

1 Like

I just used a workout app, 7 Minute Workout, with Waydroid on my Librem 5. Super useful!

3 Likes

Hi!

It have been quite some time since you (@dos ) did your great job in porting Waydroid to Librem 5. As I can see, the upstream since then have moved forward. Were your fixes included upstream? Or should I try to rebase your changes onto the latest version from upstream and try to build it myself?

3 Likes

Just saying:

Back when I was having issues connecting my Waydroid to the internet (it could never get a connection, despite having access everywhere else outside of Waydroid). I had tried everything, firewall permissions, uninstalling and re-installing again, etc just doing different things.

I don’t know why, but after a distro update, all a sudden Waydroid now had internet access.

That was maybe more than a year ago mind you. I don’t use it that often, but I have now always enjoyed the experience of using it when needed.

2 Likes