Apparmor-utils uninstalled in updates -- python?

I have been beside myself over PureOS updates (or lack thereof) as it is, but apparently they have finally put me in bad situation. I am current through 12/27.

I have sporadically returned to modifying the Firefox apparmor profile, which allows universal ‘read.’ I decided to run: aa-complain again this morning. I missed it, but apparently apparmor-utils got uninstalled. When I tried to run sudo apt install apparmor-utils to see why, I get the following (truncated output):

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
apparmor-utils : Depends: python3-apparmor (= 2.12-4pureos1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Going down the dependency thread using commands yields:

python3-apparmor : Depends: python3-libapparmor (>= 2.12) but it is not going to be installed
python3-libapparmor : Depends: python3 (< 3.7) but 3.7.1-3 is to be installed

But, python 3.7.1-3 is installed. Does that message really mean those packages need something less than 3.7? I am not sure how to interpret that output.

I have seen a lot of python updates recently.

Suggestions are appreciated. I have seen some really convoluted ones in my searches, and I really would hate to try some of those. I am a bit afraid of tampering with /var/lib/dpkg/status, because I do not know what I am doing. Thanks.

PS. I should have mentioned that I only have one other repository for the OpenCPN package that I use for sailing. There have been no updates to it in a long while. I do untar Firefox and Thunderbird to /opt. The latter’s version has been in buster but not in green.

I did a little more research in my logs. (Sorry, dpkg.log was an afterthought.) apparmor-utils was uninstalled with the 12/20 update. I remember the gnome-software uninstall specifically, but I must have not had enough coffee yet, because I do not remember the others.

Python was also upgraded that morning.

2018-12-20 07:56:25 upgrade python3:amd64 3.6.7-1 3.7.1-2

If the message in my prior post is deceptive by saying “is to be installed” and <3.7 is actually required, maybe that is the issue. apparmor-utils is suggested, not required. Maybe someone expert in this area can tell me if that is why it was uninstalled.

UPDATE: I opened this tracking item. If one runs ‘show’ with apt on python3-libapparmor, it appears to depend on something less than python 3.7:

Depends: python3 (<< 3.7), python3 (>= 3.6~), python3:any (>= 3.3.2-2~), libapparmor1 (>= 2.10.95), libc6 (>= 2.14)

I think this ultimately breaks the dependencies.

It appears the dependencies were fixed with the update I applied on 1/13. For now, I am leaving the task to which I refer open because another user has posted there.

1 Like