Apple's New T2 Security Chip Will Prevent Hackers From Eavesdropping On Your

LOL!!! Now I’m going to hear all those Apple fans talk about this, like it’s new. Purism laptops beat you a long long time ago.

2 Likes

Try having a conversation with an Apple fan. It is a very frustrating experience. In my experience, they are convinced that Apple offers such better quality that there is no reason to even try anything else.

What I realized after having several conversations with die-hard Apple fanboys is that we simply value different things. I could care less about style and the social status that tech carries, but I care passionately about user rights and freedom and the ability to fix anything that I own. I would rather have something old that I can take apart and study, than the latest novelty that is sealed shut.

I have a Mac as a secondary laptop to my Librem 15 and also an iPhone until my Librem 5 releases. I think Apple products are clean, but not ultra secure like our Librem devices. I do think they are better than Windows machines.

The important point being that that is what you “think”, not what you can ever “know” - as Apple makes no pretence at exposing anything to public scrutiny.

A key aspect of the original (now old) story, is that hardware disconnect is effective even when Apple has been sat upon by the US government with a secret order that requires Apple to distribute a bug in their software - and the same is true of Purism.

Not sure if you are attempting poetry, Hamlet. You should write for a Politician as you took six total words for your speech. No device on the planet is totally safe. All I said was the products are clean looking, but not historically secure. As one who has owned numerous Mac and Apple products, I believe I am qualified to evaluate and have an opinion.

1 Like

T2 chip helps keep the hackers out, but its a total black box… who might it let in?

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, what caused you to buy a Librem after years of using Macs?
Most people who use Macs tell me that they really like OS X and can’t imagine giving it up. Did you find it difficult to switch to GNOME Shell or do you use a different desktop?
Also, I’m curious what you like and dislike in the Librem vs a Mac.

I ask because I’ve been using Linux on Thinkpads for so long, that I can no longer do an accurate comparison with Windows and OS X, since I only occasionally use them in virtual machines when needing to test something at work.

For me, I did not like not having some level of control over the product. I think they are amazing products that do not crash very often. I do some dabbling in Programming and my Mac was not as well suited for that function.Additionally, I do not feel Macs are as secure as they will let you believe.

That being said, Apple does a great job in lining up all of its products so they all talk together. That can be a long term problem when nefarious groups gain access into one piece of your system and try to use that to gain other accesses.

1 Like

This issue with them all talking together is that, with very little exception, the functionality requires you to be signed into the same iCloud account on all devices. Once you’re signed into iCloud, your data is no longer yours – it goes to Apple’s servers. It is encrypted there, but with their keys, not yours.