Apt-get full-upgrade question

Hi, I have run Ubuntu and Debian over the years. I was surprised to learn full-upgrade and dist-upgrade are the same thing. I ran this and packages were upgraded. I thought these were for new versions of the OS, not a rolling update. Is it possible I have installed packages I should not? Does PureOS follow the Ubuntu model of periodic dist upgrades or is it more of a rolling upgrade process? If/when should I run full-upgrade?
Thanks for any help.

There definitely used to be some mention somewhere that stated PureOS was a rolling release. However, I can’t find that statement at the moment. With that said, I really don’t know when it is more appropriate to use full-upgrade over just a regular upgrade, and I’d be interesting in seeing what others say

$ man apt-get

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade,
also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions
of packages

1 Like

Thanks dan3 it is the mysterious full-upgrade and if PureOS is working a rolling release or standard release cycle? I appreciate you not going with the perhaps too standard rtfm :smiley:

It’s got to be rolling release style, because I periodically see small batches of packages that need updating. Once every 1-2 weeks.

Is everyone here updating their pure browser with sudo apt-get dist-upgrade? Like every 3 months? I typically use sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade daily. But I notice that my pure browser seems to be just a little behind the current version of firefox. I’m currently on Pure 60.1.0esr. Am I wrong?

The link @taylor-williamc mentions is here. PureOS is based on Debian buster.

PureOS is definitely a rolling release distribution, and on 15 June 2018 Zlatan Todorić did a very nice blog post describing it: https://puri.sm/posts/what-is-pureos-and-how-is-it-built/

It is indeed based on Debian Buster (testing).

1 Like

@nochelibre, thank you for that link. It is a much better explanation than what I had.

1 Like

@Wayne, you’re welcome! Zlatan gave us the details, but I still am not clear how packages are checked for bugs once they arrive in landing.

When many GNOME packages got updated from 3.28 to 3.30 last month, there were bugs. Within a minute of using Files (Nautilus) 3.30.0-1, it crashed when I started typing in a search string. I wondered how this could possibly pass through any kind of testing and not be caught. The logical answer is it wasn’t actually tested, which makes me wonder what testing is actually done. This was not an obscure, little-used function inside some obscure package used by 100 people worldwide. This was the default GNOME file manager. I immediately reported it at https://tracker.pureos.net/T581 and it was fixed 2 days later with 3.30.0-4. I saw on the GNOME gitlab site (such as at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/602) that others had reported it, so I’m not sure if my report was even seen. I got zero responses, so I’m still not sure what is the best place to report bugs: at the upstream source or on https://tracker.pureos.net/ . Does anyone know?

A footnote to this story is that this particular bug hasn’t been totally fixed because Nautilus 3.30.0-4 crashed again yesterday when I was entering a search string.

I have had a similar experience and would like to see more details somewhere. For example, I am still waiting for a 3.30 update to Gnome Software. My ‘obvious’ problem should have also been caught in integration testing with Gnome Tweaks, but I do not think it will be fixed even though it is pretty trivial and known to that team.

I did not bother to open a Tracker item for it, because someone else took the debug information I posted at Tweaks and debugged it further to the Software package. It was being tracked there. I have found with the few items I have reported at the Purism Tracker that no action was taken and, eventually, the problem got resolved with a package update and I closed the issue.

I do not think that I’ll be opening any more defects there unless my system is dead. I do look at it to see where people are seeing issues, and I will add my two cents if I think I can help. (I saw your posts on Nautilus.) If I can debug a problem to the source, I will address it there rather than with the Tracker.

I was a developer in a previous life, so I do not mean to be critical of Purism. When one has a problem, one wants to see it fixed, regardless of other priorities! :slight_smile:

If I can tie this back to the topic of this thread, I myself am fine with a rolling release like PureOS, though I would be reluctant to recommend it to some others. I understand that there are going to be bugs, but, if users are testers, then we ought to know the mechanics. Having said that, it does seem from my reading that sadly even users of products with regular releases have also become testers.