Backup software options that support S3 as remote destination

Gnome removed support for most cloud providers from the default Backup/DejaDup software four years ago with version 42.0. Has anyone found a solid replacement app? The article linked above contains a workaround using Fuse to make S3 available, it’s a bit janky and adds more complexity than I want.

On my mac I use Arq + Storj S3 Gateway (fork of minIO) + Storj bucket and it works great. Cost less than a dollar a month for encrypted remote storage, and it’s double encrypted both by Arq and by the S3 Gateway running locally on the computer.

I’m trying to duplicate this same setup as close as possible on my Librem mini running PureOS Crimson 11

1 Like

What about Borg Backup? Actually I have no clue about S3 so I hope I don’t waste your time. Anyway a quick web search delivered me at least two sources where people used a script to use borg backup together with S3.

Also everything borg backup needs is an SSH connection, but I think it’s quicker if it is also installed on the remote backup host.

There are also commercial services that offer hosting your backups with borg backup support.

Borg backup supports encryption and block level deduplication to safe storage space (and bandwith?).

I am not involved on borg backup in any way. :slight_smile:

P.S.: resistence is futile, lukutus!

1 Like

I was not familiar with Borg so thanks for posting about it. I searched github issues for the app and with the original version is was a deliberate design decision to forego support of cloud services. Apparently borg2 is going to include support for low cost S3 compatible cloud data storage providers such as Amazon Glacier and Backblaze B2.

I wish that the Cyphertite service didn’t fold years ago on account of lack of market interest. It was a great product.

I may just opt for using duplicity at the command line which does support S3.

1 Like

Someone from VanLUG several months ago wanted to switch off BorgBackup and asked me for an alternative, so I mentioned Restic:

restic/restic - GotHub (on my GotHub instance)

I’ve been rolling out restic to all my workstations today and it’s working well with Storj. I like the fact that it’s cross-platform and integrates with storj using rclone.

Going to make this my workstation remote backup app for the time being.

1 Like