Basics - email?

Wow. I’ll be really surprised if they didn’t have a plan to make continuity across devices including their own with their bundle.

Well, the plan is to use stock GNOME applications. That way you get consistency on the laptops and phones. Librem One is more about the services than the clients. They provided clients on iOS and Android in order to get non-Linux customers using their services, but on Linux, they don’t really need to offer a special client, since they have been working with GNOME upstream to have everything mobile-friendly in the stock software.

1 Like

Is PINE still going!?. I’m sure I remember using it back in 1998

1 Like

I’ve no idea. You’d need a *nix server that would accept it. Although I guess any server that would still accepts SMTP commands (and have mail installed) at the command line would work. You’d also need a command line login too.

Yes. It is still available and developed under the name “alpine”:

and it supports SMTP, IMAP, LDAP, the works…
3 Likes

A few years after the last post, but could do with an update. Is there any other email clients people are using on librem? Have been using geary, but it:

• keeps on stuffing touch interactions, eg going to another folder when you tap on an email
  • keeps on not deleting emails from the server when deleted on the phone
  • doesn’t have any way to check on details of the sync status or force a refresh

I am a terminal lover, but mutt on a smartphone just feels wrong to me.

1 Like

No, I use Tutanota and their web application. I use it daily and have no issues with it whatsoever.

I do use mutt on all my UNIXes, incluyendo el L5, and I would not change this for anything else.

I guess I’m missing something with mutt. Is the screen not too small to have a keyboard and mutt open?

I just tried installing Thunderbird, which works, but the real estate for the messages is very VERY limited due to their current layout. Better than flaky geary though.

I use HTML 5 webapps. A little slow but works great. I install Linux Mint’s Webapp-Manager tool to make the apps. I wrote a post about it. Just do a search for it.

mutt is fine on the L5, I use it all day when I’m away from my laptop.

I remember getting into flame wars with other students far and wide on IRC on the VT100 terminals at university…good times.

1 Like

I still have a mini running in my garage wide open to telnet. It just runs old text games with an ongoing game of Empire. For a test without playing anything telnet to:

empire.game-host.org

and enter; HELLO USER.GAMES

gives a list of games. (Not all work, some need HP terminal emulation).

2 Likes

Just to add this:

I started using snappymail as a web app in tangram flatpak.

It works really well. First I used lighttpd to run a local snappymail installation on the Librem5 which worked good. Then I wanted to be able to use it from other computers as well and had a docker snappymail installed on my nas. And since a few weeks I migrated my mailserver to a yunohost that runs snappymail as an app.

There’s one funny thing about it: snappymail does notify through tangram using a sound.

I put my Librem5 into silent mode and guess what: snappymail/tangram just ignores that and only the volume slider set to zero stops the sounds for incoming email.

@guido.gunther, this came somehow unexpected even though it seems logical thinking about it. I wonder what would be the right way to change this? If I’d listen to webradio through tangram I’d expect it to come through even in silent mode, but for a notification I’ve been used to the feedbackd integration.

Right way to change this is to make your app use feedbackd. That’s why we have it :smile: