Battery capacity zero after full charge and hard reboot

Last year a number of Librem users reported a strange issue with the laptop battery not charging. I too faced this issue on several occasions when forced to do a hard reboot due to a laptop freeze (ie press the power button for 5 seconds until the laptop powers off completely). I found a solution to this issue which seems to have worked for a numbers of users.

Recently the screen freezes have reappeared (I keep my OS regularly updated, and I am assuming something changed recently). I had to hard reboot 3 times today. On the last reboot I was charging my laptop and the battery had reached 100%. When I rebooted the battery capacity showed 0% and now the battery does not charge any more.

I am assuming the previous battery charging problem got fixed for the scenario where the battery is partially charged…as I have done a hard reboot several times with partial battery and the problem did not crop up.

1 Like

after several attempts of rebooting with no success, I decided to drain the battery down again. I powered off last night thinking of using up the remaining battery in the morning, but to my surprise when I booted up this morning the battery icon was showing the capacity again…
Screenshot-20190308082120-511x427
go figure! Maybe the fact that the battery cooled down overnight may have had an impact?

Anyhow, this is the 2nd time I have this issue 9the first time I only resolved it by letting the battery run down). I will report back here if I find anything else.

things are getting worse, after finally draining the battery the laptop rebooted with a battery indicator showing 0% but now it is not chargning (it shows charging but the battery level remains at 0%),

@mladen suggested physically disconnecting the battery which I did (once disconnected I pressed the power button for 10 sec) but when I reconnected and rebooted, the battery is still at 0% and charging for the last 10 mins now.

Anyone has any idea how to reset the battery controller?