Battery charge thresholds for Librem 13 v2?

Model: Librem13 v2

I recently bought a replacement battery for my Librem13 v2, as the battery life had gotten pretty poor over the last few years. I like to leave my laptop plugged in on my desk when I’m not using it, which I’m sure is part of what eventually killed the battery. I was hoping there’d be some simple method to limit the battery charge while plugged in, to extend its health over time, but it seems like the settings need to be exposed via the firmware (or EC? or both?). This is all I see for the battery in sysfs:

~> ls /sys/class/power_supply/BAT
alarm     capacity_level  charge_full_design  current_now  device  manufacturer  power    serial_number  subsystem   type    voltage_min_design
capacity  charge_full     charge_now          cycle_count  hwmon1  model_name    present  status         technology  uevent  voltage_now

In hopes of getting something via the firmware, I’ve upgraded to the latest coreboot/SeaBIOS available for my hardware, 24.02.01-Purism-1 (05/14/2024). No change.

I see that there is also a kernel module that exposes settings from the EC, but I gather that it works for the Librem14 only. I tried installing it anyway-- it changes nothing for my system (presumably due to different hardware).

Is there a solution that exposes charging thresholds for the Librem13?

1 Like

@jonathon.hall ?

1 Like

No, I’m not aware of any way to control battery charge thresholds on any version of the Librem 13. This is controlled by the EC firmware, and the Librem 14 was the first device supporting Librem EC with charge thresholds.

1 Like