Battery charging issue?

Hi,
I just received my 13v3 and noticed that the battery never ends charging. It hangs at 99% and the charging LED remains orange.
Also it shows 0 cycles, what I find strange, because I charged it a few times:
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=0
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN_DESIGN=7400000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=8297000
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=850000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN=6040000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=5661000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=5659000
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=99
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY_LEVEL=Normal
POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=S10
POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=TPS
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUMBER=

Otherwise it works as expected. Could it have to do with the charger I am using? It is the charger that came with my 13v2. And I am using Fedora, but have been doing it for a year on my v2 to without issues.

@mladen I am again facing battery charging issues, here is my battery status,

the charge_full/now and capacity are all showing 0. This is the first I see this with the battery. The battery until last week was able to last 6 hours of normal use, so its odd that it does not hold any charge now. Is there a way to reset it?

Not sure, happened to my battery as well, but after a while, it is working again at full capacity. You might try using your laptop on battery until it shuts down, then plug it in and see if this will reset it.
I have noticed the issue you’ve described when a sudden change in room temperature happens.

that’s what I use to do previously, but now my battery is fully discharged and so I cannot run the laptop till it shuts down. If I simply unplug the power cord, it shuts down but does not reset it.

Any way I can charge the battery separately outside the computer and put it back in?

GM @mladen, so after some more search on this issue, I have some more specific questions for you.

The Problem:

• My battery is fully discharged.
  • When I plug the power cord (laptop off) the led is orange (showing that it is charging), but after about 5 mins turns to white.
  • if I power on the laptop, same issue, orange led for 5 mins and white after that.
  • either way the battery takes no charge, as soon as I remove the cord the laptop blanks out.

I searched online and found other similar issues with various laptops running linux. In some cases, dual boot systems allows users to boot in Windows and fix the issue.

For non-dual boot, I found an interesting article about a BIOS setting on a laptop that allows for a ‘FelxiCharger’ setting to be activated which basically allows the BIOS to take over the management of the battery.

However, with coreboot, we don’t have such settings on Librems.

I am quite sure that this is not a hardware issue as the battery was wroking fine a week ago holding over 90% of its designed charge.

My coreboot version is,
>do dmidecode | grep Version: | head -n 1
Version: 4.6-a86d1b-Purism-4
so my question is, could an update to the latest coreboot fix this issue?

else is there an equivalent of the ‘FlexiCharge’ BIOS setting mentioned on the above-linked article with coreboot?

@MrChromebox Any thoughts? ^

quick update: I found another article that suggested to remove the battery, hold the power button for 1over a minute and then plug the power cord, boot up the computer and power it off again. Then reconnect the battery and try again.

I did this, but the issue is still the same. 5 min orange led, then white, battery does not retain charge. A battery status says it is charging,

> upower -d
Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/line_power_AC
  native-path:          AC
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              Tuesday 18 June 2019 04:12:35 PM IST (36 seconds ago)
  has history:          no
  has statistics:       no
  line-power
    warning-level:       none
    online:              yes
    icon-name:          'ac-adapter-symbolic'

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT
  native-path:          BAT
  vendor:               TPS
  model:                S10
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               charging
    energy:              0 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         48.84 Wh
    energy-full-design:  48.84 Wh
    energy-rate:         0 W
    voltage:             9.542 V
    percentage:          0%
    capacity:            100%
    technology:          lithium-ion
    icon-name:          'battery-caution-charging-symbolic'
  History (charge):
    1560854555	0.000	unknown
  History (rate):
    1560854555	0.000	unknown

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/mouse_hidpp_battery_0
  native-path:          hidpp_battery_0
  model:                Wireless Mobile Mouse MX Anywhere 2
  serial:               4063-fd-d6-e0-ef
  power supply:         no
  updated:              Tuesday 18 June 2019 04:12:50 PM IST (21 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  mouse
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               fully-charged
    battery-level:       full
    percentage:          100% (should be ignored)
    icon-name:          'battery-full-charged-symbolic'
  History (charge):
    1560854570	100.000	fully-charged
    1560854570	0.000	unknown
  History (rate):
    1560854570	0.000	unknown

Device: /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/DisplayDevice
  has history:          no
  has statistics:       no
  battery
    state:               charging
    energy:              0 Wh
    energy-full:         48.84 Wh
    energy-rate:         0 W
    percentage:          0%
    icon-name:          'battery-caution-charging-symbolic'

Daemon:
  daemon-version:  0.99.10
  on-battery:      no
  lid-is-closed:   no
  lid-is-present:  yes
  critical-action: HybridSleep

battery still not charging. Is there any solution to this @mladen? Do I need to purchase another battery (again :frowning:)

Update, suddenly the battery has started charging again! Yeah!

Why? That’s a mystery. I had not used my laptop for a few days, and when I powered it up this morning it still was in the same state. After about 1 hour of use, it suddenly started to charge … very odd.

the battery was dreaming about a better free-software firmware implementation and forgot how to charge … :wink:

1 Like

Hahaha, ya it needed a good fasting cure :slight_smile:

I’m to the point where my 15v3 won’t accept or hold a charge. Tried every imaginable method to resolve it. All I got from support is that they don’t have any batteries and don’t know when they will. Been over six weeks. Don’t want to buy a battery from an non reputable source but don’t have much of an option at this point. Pretty disappointing but at least I’ve got a $2,000 paper weight. Pretty neat.

1 Like

I had a similar issue on a non-Librem laptop and it turned out the synchronous buck converter from the charger to the battery wasn’t working correctly. If you have a multimeter/voltmeter to test with, see if you can trace the power input to the battery. There are two likely causes, if it’s a synchronous buck converter failure:

• The MOSFETs (or another simple component like a capacitor) have gone bad and need to be replaced (easy repair)
  • The microcontroller that sends the control signal to the circuit has gone bad (difficult repair)

Replacing the battery won’t do anything in this case if the charging circuit isn’t delivering a high enough voltage to charge it. Here’s a video of this type of repair. These circuits seem to be pretty standard across laptops and it’s the first thing I check now if I run into a charging problem with a laptop.

Sorry to revive this “old” topic but I think I’ve found a detail which could help others the solve the issue.

I’ve also had the issue recently, symptoms were like exactly like @vrata described but my Librem15v3 didn’t start charging eventually.

So I tried to drain the battery like @mladen suggested. It ran for hours at 0% battery then eventually switched off. But it was still not charging afterwards.

It turns out, the OS didn’t let me drain the battery completely. I let the laptop run for another 20-30 mins before entering my password for the disk encryption, (probably staying in GRUB and BIOS screens will also work).
The laptop started to charge properly afterwards. So IMHO it seems like a battery calibration issue.

1 Like

I too seem to have that problem, I have a $2000 paperweight. I currently have the same problem. Though I have tried a lot of the proposed solutions none of them have worked. I will keep trying and report back should I find an actual solution.