Librem coreboot Utility Script: usage, discussion, and help

Withe the release of our new Librem coreboot Utility/Update Script, the old coreboot build script is now deprecated.

The Librem coreboot Utility/Update Script currently provides the following functions:

• Download/Flash a precompiled coreboot update (either standard/legacy BIOS or PureBoot)
  • Compile a coreboot update (standard/legacy BIOS only, currently) from source and flash
  • Adjust the default boot order (standard/legacy BIOS only)
  • Set the device serial number (in case a previous update erased it)

This topic is for discussion related to the script itself (issues, features, improvements, etc) only. Please create a new post for any issues related to running the firmware itself, for easier tracking

To run the coreboot Utility/Update Script, simply open a terminal and run the following commands:

mkdir ~/updates
cd ~/updates
wget https://source.puri.sm/coreboot/utility/raw/master/coreboot_util.sh -O coreboot_util.sh
sudo bash coreboot_util.sh

The script has been most heavily tested under PureOS/Debian, so if running another distro, there may be dependency-related issues. Hopefully the script handles that gracefully. If not, let me know and I’ll do my best to fix it :slight_smile:

cheers,
Matt

Help / Feedback: Librem 15v4 + PureBoot + Librem Key

I am a bit confused reading the blog post announcing the script today. Should people with a TPM chip (I have a librem 13v3) switch to Heads/Pureboot when updating or simply update coreboot?

If you have a Librem Key and would like to use it to validate your firmware and /boot files, then you can switch to PureBoot even if you don’t have a TPM; previously that option was only available for devices with a TPM.

If you’re happy with your current setup and don’t see any benefit from switching to PureBoot (or don’t have a Librem Key), then stick with the standard coreboot/SeaBIOS firmware.

Hello,
This is great. I tested the coreboot_utils script and it worked flawlessly. Nice.

But I unfortunately made a dumb mistake. I flashed the pureboot+heads bios, but I don’t have the LibremKey.
So I’m stuck in the heads rescue shell. I guess there is no easy thing I can do to get out of this situation.
I’ll try to download a coreboot image on usb and reflash it from the shell…

you can use the script to download/configure the standard firmware, copy to a USB stick, then flash via the Heads menu. And you can boot your device now even without a Librem Key, you’ll just have to navigate thru the warnings since you don’t have a Librem Key. If you pop into the community/heads Matrix chat room, someone there can help you through it

Yes, that’s exactly how I proceeded. Worked like a charm.
I’m typing this reply on the recovered L13v3. :wink:

This didn’t work as I have a modified /boot in xfs_v5, which needs the latest grub2. And Heads doesn’t know about xfs.
But maybe I’m misunderstanding your statement. :thinking:

during testing, I flashed all of my test devices with the PureBoot firmware, but none were configured to use a Librem Key (since others had validated that part already). I was still able to boot both my internal drive and a USB drive just by navigating the Heads menus, at which point I switched back to the standard/SeaBIOS firmware.

OK, thanks for the “HEADS” up, I will have to try that again. :wink:
I definitely loved what I’ve seen with the HEADS boot, even though I didn’t manage to even boot from USB.
I’ll dig deeper…

T.

Does this mean that anyone using Librem 13 needs to install this script?

I ran this last night and have been unable to get the keys from the Liibrem Key because the SDA1-5 fail to mount. If I do not have the Librem Key plugged in then I can only get to the emergency shell. If I have the key plugged in then I can do other things, but every change ultimately fails because the SDA won’t mount. Is the machine bricked now?

this script is for updating, changing, or modifying the system firmware. It’s for users wanting to ensure their device has the latest firmware, or who have a Librem Key and want to test our beta PureBoot firmware

no, but the best way to get help with the PureBoot firmware is via the Matrix chat room:
https://matrix.to/#/!BSPqgzeiCeaSBayTLM:talk.puri.sm

Ok, so i can install the script even though i do not have the Librem Key - and in principla there should be no problems. It will only update the firmware of my Librem 13 V3

Correct?

correct – if you don’t have a Librem key, then you would want to choose the standard firmware option, rather than PureBoot, when using the pre-built firmware update. If building from source, there’s no option currently, only the standard coreboot/SeaBIOS firmware.