Battery not charging?

Last night I suspended my laptop after using it for unplugged longer than I had previously. The battery status indicator was about halfway down. Today, when I restarted the machine from suspension, the battery had not been recharged overnight. Additionally, the battery has not recharged during the day while on and the battery indicator remains about half full. The /sys filesystem seems to share this assessment:

root@jgeisler:~# cat /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/battery/PNP0C0A\:00/power_supply/BAT0/uevent 
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT0
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Unknown
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=0
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN_DESIGN=11100000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=11415000
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=850000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN=4400000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=4269000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=1838000
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=43
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY_LEVEL=Normal
POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=S10
POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=TPS
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUMBER=
root@jgeisler:~# 

Any suggestions for how I can address the situation?

Hi Jonathan,

so even though it is not recharging the battery is always showing half full (it is not getting empty, turning the computer off or into suspend/hibernate mode)?

(btw, is it on purpose that you’re using root instead of regular user + sudo?)

It wasn’t getting empty because I had it plugged in all night long while suspended and during the day in use. I guess I didn’t mention that detail. My problem wasn’t about the battery draining further, but that it doesn’t seem to be recharging even though the machine is plugged in.

I like to use root instead of sudo as a preference. I just never let my normal user account do anything privileged.

Last night I tried shutting down the laptop and leaving it plugged in to see if it would recharge. Unfortunately, it did not. It appears that I have a battery that will discharge, but not recharge. :frowning:

Could you try running some live Linux CD/USB and see if it is charging under that system?

Sorry to respond so late…I was out-of-town.

The situation seems to be unpredictable. Sometimes it will charge and sometimes it will not. It is very hard to determine when it will just run on A/C and when it will also charge up the battery. Do you have something you want me to run when I think it is not running for some sort of diagnostic?

My suggestion would be as usual with other batteries: check all the time if you properly connected it (I noticed that I would sometimes keep it not enough plugged on my librems - probably because it feels it is well connected we don’t check it). Also you can open the laptop and see if battery is properly connected inside and the last, check port for charging (maybe it is damaged).

I just experienced the same thing.

My laptop is not charging anymore. This seems to have happened after I had to force a shutdown after a system freeze (reported in this thread) by pressing and holding down the power button.

My laptop battery shows 2% and the only way to use it is to have it plugged in all the time.

What could be cause of this? How can I fix this?

Tried to do a clean restart but that didn’t fix the issue.

[EDIT] sys battery file uevent,

more /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/battery/PNP0C0A\:00/power_supply/BAT/uevent 
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Unknown
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=10391000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=4514000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=118000
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=2

Update: the power led has been flashing white and orange.

So I did some more reading around and found that this is an issue that many people have faced on other laptops too. A recurring suggestion was to unplug the power and let the battery run down completely. So I did that and the laptop eventually blanked out.

I then plugged the power cable back in and the power led glowed orange this time. I let it charge a while (laptop powered off) and went to play Boom Beach on my phone (what else can one do in such a situation, right?) and after about 15 minutes powered the laptop on again. The battery showed as charging and had 19%. The acpi sys file is now reporting the charging status,

more /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/battery/PNP0C0A\:00/power_supply/BAT/uevent
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=11460000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL=4589000
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_NOW=945000
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=20

so that’s good.

The estimated time to full charge is also showing up in the Gnome Shell. So i guess all is well.

1 Like

I am again getting a battery charging error. The power LED is flashing white/orange, regardless of whether or not I have it plugged in. I am going to let it discharge again and see if it fixes the issue, but it would be nice to have a way to reset it without having to let the computer run out of power.

@mladen this issue is recurring every few days now. I put my computer in suspend mode (close the lid) and I start it again, I find the power LED flashing orange/white and the battery charging status shows as Unknown.

Is there a permanent fix to this? It seems the sleep mode is not waking up properly.

1 Like

Did you try disconnecting the battery and leaving it like this over night?

you mean physically disconnecting it? Open the back and remove teh battery?

Another strange thing is that the battery does not seem to completely charge:

as you can see from the battery status file, the ‘CHARGE_NOW’ is above the CHARGE_FULL value and the desktop panel show is still trying to estimate the time to full charge. The LED is glowing orange.

1 Like

Hi dear how are you I am trying to log in in my account but I am not able can check out what is the problem

Kindly write to me as soon as you can

Abdullah al shammakhi

https://shop.puri.sm/my-account/

Hi dear I am trying to log in in my account but I am not able can you check out what is the problem

abdullah177779, you need to contact support(at)puri.sm with your login details (username or email). Community forums are NOT the correct way to ask for technical support.

1 Like