Best libre desktop computer 2024 | Coreboot, Libreboot, Gnuboot

Hello everyone.

I would like to discuss this topic with the community, I see users on reddit and other forums have questions that are not answered.

I liked this article about Blackbird Secure Desktop Review: Blackbird Secure Desktop – a fully open source modern POWER9 workstation without any proprietary code – OSnews

some interesting quotes from the article:

“but that’s the price to pay for hardware you actually own, instead of just leas”.

“We’re in the middle of the war on general purpose computing, and it seems that every day we read the tech news, we learn of another consumer or user right that we seemingly give up without a fight to the likes of Apple, Google, Microsoft, Intel, and others”.

“if you run Linux on your AMD or Intel machine, you’re running it on top of a veritable spider’s web of proprietary firmware for networking, graphics, the IME, WiFi, BlueTooth, USB, and more. Even if you opt for something like a System76 machine, which has open firmware as a BIOS replacement and to cover some functions like keyboard lighting, you’re still running lots of closed firmware blobs for all kinds of components. It’s virtually impossible to free yourself from this web”.

So, let’s see what we have today from desktop computers:

1. Blackbird Secure Desktop Raptor Computing Systems::BK1SD1 Intro

2. Talos™ II Secure Workstation Raptor Computing Systems::TL2WK2 Intro

3. ASUS KGPE-D16 ( GnuBoot,Coreboot, Libreboot) ASUS KGPE-D16 [# vikings wiki]

4. ASUS KCMA-D8 ( GnuBoot,Coreboot, Libreboot) ASUS KCMA-D8 [# vikings wiki]

5. Dell OptiPlex 9020 SFF/MT (and 7020) (Libreboot ) . Libreboot 9020 SFF with Intel i5-4570 (i7-4790k available), 16GB RAM (32GB available), 1TB/2TB NVMe SSD, Intel HD4600 graphics (AMD Radeon RX 6400 available) with Debian Linux preinstalled – Minifree Ltd

6. Librem Mini ( Pureboot + Coreboot) Purism– Librem Mini

7. NitroPC 1 (Coreboot) NitroPC 1 | shop.nitrokey.com

8. NitroPC Pro 2 (Dasharo+Coreboot) https://shop.nitrokey.com/shop/nitropc-pro-2-523?search=nitropc

9. Z790-P WiFi DDR5 (Dasharo+Coreboot) https://shop.3mdeb.com/shop/dasharo-supported-hardware/msi-pro-z790-p-wifi-ddr5-with-dasharo-entry-subscription-full-pc-build/

Also in this list => Mainboard-specific documentation — coreboot 24.05-288-g72e7585e6d documentation it is possible to highlight the ASUS A88XM-E motherboard with an AMD A10-6700 or A10-6800K chip
maybe there is something else interesting, but I didn’t find it…

A very important factor for a libre desktop computer is to be able to boot the free Linux-libre kernel. Why Linux-libre? The answer can be read here ::[FSFLA]:: GNU Linux-libre project and here

5 Likes

Additional reference:

2 Likes

Dear @jam can you add Librem 14 v01-01 for this list? Librem 14 deserve to be on list.

Just for Record that i using Libre Kestrel GPU on my Blackbird which i get a Lightning Booting of 7seconds compared to 150seconds with Aspeed-Power9 and 310seconds on Aspeed-Power8.

Also ATM i testing GPUs Intel ARC and Nvidia (Turing, Ampere, ADA) for Power9 on a Libre enviroment like Zero BLOBs on GNU System.

1 Like

I think the distinction being made is … desktop v. laptop.

5 Likes

Ooooh i got it. :man_facepalming:
Thank you

4 Likes

Lately I’ve been plugging my librem 14 in my usbc hub that I got originally for the Librem 5, because that basically turns it into a desktop but with the faster process. I imagine this wouldn’t be too functionally different from a Librem Mini, but it isn’t.

3 Likes

Perhaps also RISC-V (in the future) Building A RISC-V Desktop | Hackaday

I haven’t researched Libre-Linux compatibility with RISC-V…

1 Like
2 Likes

Hi Carlos. I saw your screenshot with Blackbird, what do you think about this computer? I read different articles about Blackbird, very contradictory reviews in terms of using it as a computer for every day. For example, the computer boots up in 5 minutes, etc.))

1 Like

It is a very nice desktop computer and i am so happy.

That time is for first boot, its because it need to boot 2 operating system to finally boot your GNU OS
Feel Libre to ask whatever about PowerPC.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, I am interested, but I think that the site administrators will not be very happy if we discuss PowerPC here)) I see who created the topic here How does Trisquel 11 work with Blackbird Secure Desktop in 2024? | Trisquel GNU/Linux - Run free!

2 Likes

Purism is open to discussion of other architectures within these forums:

2 Likes

It’s great to know that Purism is open to discussing other architectures. That’s really cool!

I read these posts when I was looking for information about Blackbird Secure Desktop. I dug into the topic a bit and realized that Blackbird Secure Desktop is more for geeks and enthusiasts than for regular users. But if we talk about a desktop computer, I’d like to see something like this => NitroPC Pro 2 from Purism, that is, a full-fledged desktop computer, not a cut-down version of Librem Mini, but not with so many blobs on board)) Well, we can neutralize Intel ME, but a huge number of blobs are still in NitroPC Pro 2 (usb3, network card, bluetooth, etc.), in this sense, ASUS KGPE-D16 looks much better. This board has many of its own problems, but it is still more ethical…

As for the unification, I understand Nicole, but you can do something together, it happens that two companies unite if their interests coincide and make (create) a product that will be successful with users. Like two people who have a child unite, although they can be very different))

1 Like

You see, even Raptor offers such options))

https://secure.raptorcs.com/content/BK1B01/purchase.html

1 Like

@FranklyFlawless i updated wallpaper plus a bunch of fixes and features to Gnu System!

1 Like

Looking at the price tags for these options, I can see this is no desktop for the usual consumer market…
It’s hardware for the rich! Maybe some billionaires of the Silicon can afford to have such marvels, just as they can afford to send their progeny to “special” schools.
But for the rest of us, it’ll be public school and Purism…

1 Like