Birch Shipping Email Received

I am probably in Evergreen anyway, but would love to get the earlier hardware, with full understanding that the cooling won’t be as good.

This 4-year old iPhone still works, so whatever batch I’m in, I hope it lasts until my L5 ships. If not, I’m sure a cheap temp phone will last me :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hmm, Ok, I see your point, though I read it as “the modem is Broadmobi, other options not available yet”. I’m not sure which is correct.

Either way, some of the modem options are not yet available, apparently.

Look, this is still a prototype and nobody is forced to take it. Makes sense to me

1 Like

Brand new
G6 play - 100$
G7 play 160$
Moto X4 200$
Moto Z3 play- was just recently on sale for 180$
All great phones with unlockable bootloaders and great support for custom roms - lineage , etc

2 Likes

This is the correct interpretation. The Broadmobi modem will be the default option. The Gemalto modem is a more expensive option and will be available later on at a higher price.

7 Likes

dang, i was hoping to opt for gemalto :frowning:

6 Likes

Thanks for the clarification, Kyle. Damn those high school English classes! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Depends on the region. I find broadmobi better for US market. It covers all LTE bands

So i.e. in evergree the modem will be broadmobi for everyone and we will just chose the region like usa or eu?
I was think reading older info, gemalto will be the modem for eu

What difference there is between broadmobi and gemalto?

There’s a difference in bands covered and Broadmobi is a Chinese company while Gemalto is a Dutch(?) company. The Broadmobi modems are made in China and the Gemalto modems are made in Germany. Those are the main differences as far as I know, but for a more detailed discussion see

1 Like

When I preordered my phone, the tech specs of the preordered product were: “Gemalto PLS8 3G/4G modem w/ single SIM on replacable M.2 card”. There was no hint, that I have to pay a higher price later on. Can you clarify your statement, does it only apply to new orders?

12 Likes

Even right now on the modem details page there’s no representation that the PLS8 will cost more. Who on earth thought it would be a good idea to retroactively change this?

8 Likes

My assumption here is that your pre-order was for the L5 as a consumer’s device, which in this case falls under Evergreen batch. They just gave this option for enthusiasts who are willing to deal with some shortcomings. It’s pretty much “take it or leave it”, until the phone is ready.
Now, If they fail to deliver on the specs for those who choose Evergreen, then we are dealing with false advertisement and all.
Though, it looks like another fail in communication on their part - while announcing shipments recently. I don’t know what’s up with that.

2 Likes

Or it means two things:

• Gemalto Modem will be availible at later stages like Evergreen
  • If you order after pre-ordering via regular buying and choose a modem, like you can currently choose things (e.g. ram) when ordering a librem 13 or librem 15, the price will be higher with the Gemalto modem

?

honestly I don’t agree to have the broadmobi modem.
For a long time it was known that the modem would be the gemalto and also in this topic https://forums.puri.sm/t/ambivalence-of-librem-5-being-made-in-china/4995 ed in questo topic https://forums.puri.sm/t/chosing-the-right-modem-pls8-vs-bm818/6530/7 after several days (June) Nicole Faerber says it will be the Gemalto.
I am a supporter of the gigantic work that society is doing and I could also understand that they ask me for another 50 euros for the modem because they had made a mistake in making the “estimate” (and in the laws of large numbers, if everyone wants the Gemalto, I can understand the economic difficulty of the company) but I would be really disappointed to have a Chinese and non-European modem, precisely because of the security problems involved.
Greetings.
P.S. https://www.avnet.com/shop/emea/products/gemalto-m2m/pls8-e-rel-40-3074457345634964930/?aka_re=1

6 Likes

PLS8 will be an option, it just won’t be already available for Birch, as, unlike Broadmobi ones, we have to produce M.2 cards with those modules ourselves.

6 Likes

For Cinterion® PLS8-E R4 (L30960-N3400-A400) future (for L5) was looking good as EOL was not planned to be declared before 2021. And hopefully the same was planned for Cinterion® PLS8-US R4 (L30960-N3410-A400 or L30960-N3415-A400 version with customer IMEI). But still this recently published information is not easy to digest/translate: “das Distributionsgeschäft mit Cinterion®-Modulen (des Herstellers Gemalto N.V.) wurde zum 14.06.19 eingestellt” if Purism have been interested to order mentioned modules over there, just guessing and not confirming anything and if PLS8 modules order was already placed there before June 14 I don’t know either. What I do know is that I am not helping much with this off-post and hope that @antpanlinux will get better answer from Purism because to me it looks like that situation (in favor of G5) on the market changed by/for Gemalto, a Thales Company, without Purism awareness (if they didn’t ensured purchase with contract).
P.S. Maybe is Cinterion® PCI Modem Card mPLS8-E or mPLS8-US variant interesting for testing on L5 dev kit anyway.

Can I ask you when did you placed your pre order? I need to know what to expect and there’s no way for me to find out when I should receive my phone. Purism is too busy to give me that peace of information. I’ve placed my order in January this year.

I would say Bacth Dogwood at the earliest, though maybe Chestnut.

And here is the original schedule:

1 Like