Birch Shipping Email Received

I don’t believe this is true, based on your past statements and how you react to new statements, so if you don’t believe the words I’ve already said, I don’t see how adding more words will help and I have to be thoughtful about how I spend my time.

For everyone else, you can see my previous posts in the thread for an explanation of what happened.

18 Likes

Thanks a lot for your answer.
I perfectly understand the lose-lose situation: if you keep waiting until you are sure of the informations you have, people are pissed off because they feel ignored or, worse, they believe the entire Purism team is running away to some tropical island with all of their customers’ money.
On the other hand, if you give us “nightly” updates on the current state of the project, the risk is to give incomplete or even wrong informations, just because that’s all you had at the time of writing!
Either ways, somebody is going to complain about it. I trust you.

Simone

15 Likes

May we see your business degree? You seem well informed on how good and bad decisions are made in the business world. Could you explain to us how you’d set up your supply chain so as to eliminate delays?

If you were the CEO or Purism, you would never develop the Librem5. You’d make another spybrick, because what seems most important to you is that products get promptly into the hands of customers. We do not want it that way, and that’s not what this is about.

2 Likes

Fair enough:

When we made the resistor post, we had identified the problem, discovered the missing resistor, added a resistor and found it fixed the problem, and every indication was that we would be able to apply this fix and have the remaining components shipped to us in time.

Then we waited for shipping confirmation, and waited. Then we finally got shipping confirmation, and discovered it would fall outside the Birch shipping window. Then we wrote the post about the delay.

18 Likes

I do not like at all what jaylittle is doing in this forum, but here he has a point.

When I preordered my phone, the tech specs of the preordered product were: “Gemalto PLS8 3G/4G modem w/ single SIM on replacable M.2 card”. There was no hint, that I have to pay a higher price later on. And the faq site told it all of us (use wayback machine). The land of origin of the Gemalto modem was even used to advertise with.

What is certain at the moment is:
Baseband: Gemalto PLS8 3G/4G modem w/ single SIM on replaceable M.2 card

And there were other things which did turn out wrong, e.g.

Do you have a German or UK/EU Reseller?
Yes, we have partnered with a German reseller, and will be shipping all German (and hopefully EU orders in general) from Germany.

Nevertheless, I wish you, the pursim team, and us, the backers, good luck.

5 Likes

You’ve hit the nail on the head. In the past we had decided to lean more on the side of only publishing updates when we knew things for sure. After Aspen the community made it clear that they’d rather us publish more frequent updates even if there was a risk the information would change, so we are trying to lean more on the other side.

It still remains to be seen whether this new approach upsets fewer people. We’ll see.

17 Likes

And this is right. Haters gonna hate, but supporters deserve to know.

8 Likes

So I guess I don’t understand what the shipping confirmation has to do with anything.

Here is how I interpreted this (mind you this is how I’ve interpreted this and the purpose of this post to find out where I went wrong here):

First Post: We had all the Birch boards and discovered they were missing a resistor during QA. We can fix them manually and ship the units out on time.

Second Post: The manual fix didn’t work so we are getting new boards shipped to us which are fixed and they won’t arrive in time for us to make our shipping window.

So here is my next question:

At the time the 11/15 post was made, did you guys have all the Birch boards in hand? If not, then would it be correct to assume that you guys addressed the issue with the manufacturer and updated the spec for the rest of the boards that were supposed to ship? Or did you decide to just get new boards instead of manually fixing each and every one of the ones you hand on hand?

The implication in the second post is that the resistor issue somehow resulted in the shipment delay, but it’s not at all clear how the two are actually related. My best guess is that at some point the spec of the board was updated or the manufacturing deficiency was addressed with your vendor which resulted in a delay of the shipment.

Explaining that would be an extremely helpful and appreciated gesture on your part.

I like the frequent updates:
Because guessing at what happened looks like fun:

The USB port did not work. Purism engineers found a manual fix by soldering a resistor on the board. At which point a radioactive asteroid hit the earth. Todd was lucky and ended up with superpowers. Earth was screwed getting sent back into an ice age. This forced Purism to create a time machine and… a meteor diverter, which was possible because of the superpowers of Todd and the engineers at Purism. Sadly,once the asteroid was diverted, not only did Todd lose his superpowers, but the whole world was shifted into a slightly different universe! One where small details in the world were wrong. Like the shipment of parts was delayed, Curious George lost his tail and many small errors passed off as the Mandela effect.
We should all be thankful that the delay is minimal and we do not have to wait for life to re-evolve from bacteria.

5 Likes

where did you get it from?

2 Likes

From https://puri.sm/posts/librem-5-birchs-10kohm-resistor-fun-devices-prepping-for-shipping/

For instance, with our Birch batch, we sent our hardware engineers the very first phones off of the line ahead of schedule so they could perform quality control testing. We discovered a 10kΩ resistor was missing from the PCBA!

2 Likes

Its my interpretation. It’s not at all clear how the shipment and the resistor issue are related. Understand? I assumed (and fully admitted as much in my post seeking clarification) that the need for a new shipment of hardware meant that the existing inventory could not in fact be manually fixed.

Ok, the way i read it - manual fix did fix the remaining issues to pass the qa, so they requested the manufacturer to stop the process, correct the mistake and re-start manufacturing, manufacturer confirmed that’s ok and won’t change the schedule, while later he made post-factum update that, well, it actually did.

2 Likes

Now - if that’s the case - that’s what they needed to tell us in that second post. Thats transparency and honesty. That not only tells us what is happening right now, but it also explains how we got from here to there in a very understandable and clear fashion.

1 Like

Is that a less deceptive promise than this

or this?

If you want me to leave you alone, stop mentioning me

I think today noone summoned you.

7 Likes

I summoned myself. This is a great issue to dig into because it involves two statements made by Purism in very close proximity that on the surface appear to directly contradict one another.

At this point I’m looking at this as a teachable moment. I’m trying hard to not only get clarification on what happened but to help push Purism in the direction of publishing updates that really take the time to explain all the things that need to be explained in the future.

As of right now, I will admit, this Birch shipping delay controversy might be a big misunderstanding driven by their tendency to say things without providing salient background details. On the surface it looks like they told a lie. I’m trying to figure out which and I’m trying to give Purism the benefit of the doubt.

I really do appreciate Kyle’s participation here. He’s being a good sport about it and I’m trying to return the favor.

I was just thinking exactly this… If he’s gonna encourage people to dislike and distrust purism using his personal credibility (‘I have an inside source, but can’t provide any information, yadda yadda yadda’), then he needs to be impeccable in his own behaviour. I think he’s just revealed himself as simply attention seeking.

Am I still worried about the state of the project? Yup. The radio silence on Aspen (and from Lunduke) is concerning. But since then, @Kyle_Rankin and @joao.azevedo have been reasonably forthcoming with information, even when it isn’t good news.

Time to see if there’s a feature similar to Disqus’ to block and filter out a user’s messages. Sad thing is the odds are good someone would have mentioned him today regardless.

11 Likes

It’s a big misunderstanding driven by your preconceptions. You’re not trying to teach, you’re on a crusade. You made up your mind long ago, and even now, when you’re demonstrated to be wrong, you divert the attention to past misconceptions.

Even if you were correct, all you’ve demonstrated here is that purism would be guilty of a misunderstanding of their own. Telling a lie requires knowledge of the truth and a willful disregard thereof, not simply changing course.

And, really, how are we supposed to take anything you say seriously, particularly as it pertains to “telling the truth,” after you’ve said multiple times you’d leave here and yet continuously return to voice your ill-conceived opinions?

Go find something to do, man. There are much better ways to waste your (and our) time.

14 Likes

Have you ordered a librem5 or are you just trollig?

3 Likes

myself and many other Purism fanboys here will walk through barbed wire with you Purism if it’s the last thing we do before we push this “baby” out into the world … YES this is the Purism forums … let’s leave the trolling for r/Purism

carry on Purism ! don’t waste time with trolls !

8 Likes