Birch Shipping Email Received

@ruff, your point have clear message and I agree with it and with what @muon and @reC added to it. Big tech treat myself sort of like I am already settled down in old people’s home, so there is everything I need, daily/nightly program, same bothering, but proofed music/approach and game.
Partly, I was referring to linked Product/Process Change Notification where it says: “Resulting in findings with some of our products that were damaged on their way to the customer. Hence Gemalto reduces the number of modules per reel from 500pcs. to 400pcs. Given this change the minimum order quantity of said products changes from 1.000 pcs. to 800 pcs. Customers are kindly asked to adjust order volumes to this granularity.” So “what they do” means deciding how many they are going to order, how many of those will be “alive”, just 95% or even less. In general there are many more things to be coordinated with BOM supply, production, etc. chain. As said, not familiar with every step, but aware it is very complex task and project that I believe in and wish (by eventually buying another phone from Purism) to succeed, with taking needed time.
In my age, it doesn’t matter any more to complete marathon run under five hours but (just) to see finish line and run through it somehow, but with joy. And, as said here many times before, besides healthy environment and many more hours of regular training with some errors/bad days, a lot of patience … to finally get to there (finishing line) without any self-injuries and by respecting all of the rules that apply (marathon registration fee inclusive) … is needed. Let us help Purism stay focused on to succeed on very first half marathon race, at the first place (without saying I’m actually helping much, just trying to). Ah, to myself, now is time for silence (even though there is new day just coming).

3 Likes

Apple would argue that it had reasonable quality control in China and perhaps that is because of their ongoing inspections or the pressure of their larger investments there. In any case, quality control can vary more or less wherever something is manufactured and inhumane conditions in some manufacturing has been found in the US as well as in China. So long as profit is more important than anything else, quality suffers. Slave labor may well be less prevalent in the US where at least other than prison labor, there is no state sanctioning of slave labor (or at least the trivial salaries given inmates in the US for their work while incarcerated).
Assumptions about quality are best left to specific enterprises discussed as versus on the supposed superiority of one nation’s overall performance versus another’s.

3 Likes

How does anyone outside of Apple know that? All I could find searching for “apple china quality control” were negative stories: iPads arriving bent from the factory, early hardware failures, and overheating issues in MacBook Pros, among other defects (Tom’s Guide); 5 million phones having to be returned to Foxconn in 2013 (China Business), (another article on this in English); and the “you’re holding it wrong” antenna issues with the iPhone 4 (Gizmodo). And on the note of inhumane working conditions, I’m not aware of any company in Germany or the US that has had to put up suicide nets.

Also, I don’t know why you’re going off about the US when the discussion is between modems “made in Germany” vs. China. That’s completely off topic.

My take is

• if you speak out publicly about China or its activities, or
  • if you were born in China or have close relatives who were born in China, or
  • if you are in possession of commercial Intellectual Property or government secrets that would be of interest to the Chinese government

then you should definitely be worried about “Made in China”. Otherwise you should be at least as worried about your own government or a number of other governments.

My ultimate goal is 100% security. That isn’t achievable today. It may never be achievable.

I’m satisfied that Purism is doing as much as it realistically can for v1.

That assumes that the chip actually is ‘Made in Germany’. Noone has confirmed that. (It doesn’t matter for my own Librem 5 because the bands supported by the Gemalto modems are no good for me.)

Trust isn’t the ultimate goal. Someone once said “trust but verify” :slight_smile: but really “verify is a substitute for trust”.

I need to echo that comment too. I understand that there are wider considerations but I am commenting only on the security aspects.

3 Likes

Try yelling “I support Hong Kong and I don’t care who knows!” in a house with Google Home. Then check to see if Nest locks the doors, the Huawei phone dials 911 and your Facebook and Twitter posts are demonitized or blocked.

3 Likes

I stated Apple would argue, not that it would prove anything. Quality control is never likely to be perfect, but considering the number of units and the attempts to deliver something new and unique early on and perhaps better performance more recently, the record is good, if not perfect by any means.
The working conditions are abysmal and we can see if the Texas facility for Apple just toured by Trump is any better.
As to the competitors in China and abroad, I have limited ideas as to how well facilities operate in other countries attempting to compete with China. As I compose this, I am at the keyboard of a Tuxedo Computer (Infinity Laptop) running Linux, assembled in Germany (Augsberg?) and built on a Chinese Clevo Chassis with a combination of a German main board and a variety of peripherals. I have no idea as to the conditions at most any of the facilities employed, though I hope that EU regulations can suggest some better conditions employed in the management of the workers there.

Perhaps you should try with ‘Alexa is much better than Google Assistant.’ :yum:
Kidding aside, visas to Harvard stipends have been denied because of what friends have written on social media. Granted, that is not incarceration or worse. But it is not like what happens in your home in front of Alexa will never end up in the hands of the FBI if a crime is suspected.

2 Likes

yes just like in the Minority Report film they would be there BEFORE you actually said anything … or was that only in case of murder ? :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Above statement led me to: FCC Supplier’s Declaration of Conformity (SDoC) - § 2.906 - ET Docket 15-170 - FCC 17-93,

Above led me to: EU Supplier’s Declaration of Conformity (SDoC) - ISO/IEC 17050-1:2004. Link to Nager IT PC Maus Konformitätserklärung by “encouraging humane working conditions in the factories of the electronic industries”.
Maybe someone experienced within field of SDoC creates separate topic, when suitable, on U.S. Conformity Assessment System (or broader) / Authorization of Radiofrequency Equipment because “SDoC may be an appropriate conformity assessment approach”. How is this related to CE marking, Japanese Giteki mark, etc. would be as well interesting to find out / get answer if applicable to Librem 5 (through SDoC approach, as “the market demands or allows it”).

Since I might not be the only one affected by this, I will answer my own question.

The shipping address that you see under My Account is not updated by your “Pre shipping alert” e-mail to ops. In fact, it still says Awaiting Shipment after receiving a tracking number. The e-mail with the tracking number contains the updated address.