Blog Post: Librem 14 Progress – Hardware Development

indeed. and also a question about covid-lake …

Smaller batches, cause the price of the individual unit to go up. This is the law of economies and something that manufacturing follows exclusively.

Kyle are we still looking at December shipping? Any other new news about the 14?

3 Likes

Push :wink:

I would like to know too

No new news yet, our timetable hasn’t changed.

Where did yu read that?

Lenovo’s webpage for the X1. It is soldered RAM on all of the X line of thinkpads. Also only 16gb RAM max for all of them.

Now that Librem Mini V2 is shipping now with i7-10510U CPU, could you use it also on Librem 14, replacing i7-10710U CPU?
The only reason for shipping delay in December was shortage of Intel 10th gen CPUs; if i7-10710U is not yet available (is it still true?), could you give an option to downgrade the CPU for pre-orders and receive L14 now?
The differences between these CPUs are:

i7-10510U
4 cores and 8 threads
1.8 GHz
L2 cache 4 × 256 KiB
L3 cache 8 MiB

i7-10710U
6 cores and 12 threads
1.1 GHz
L2 cache 6 × 256 KiB
L3 cache 12 MiB

We like the 6-core 12-thread powerhouse that is the i7-10710U in the Librem 14 and wanted to have a powerful processor in that laptop. At this point changing to a less powerful CPU would not only disappoint many customers, it would complicate things and not necessarily speed up shipping (components like CPUs sometimes have long lead times).

2 Likes

we can wait a little bit for the more powerful processor

My old laptop has a damaged display, video output is no more working…
I do not want to buy another laptop because my pre-ordered L14 is too delayed.
:sob:

My second hand Dell XPS 13 screen goes blank with dark grey streaks and then back to normal after a few hours, luckily for me the display out is working and I don’t need to move around. I still have my old MacBook (30 min battery life) if I want to sit on the couch. I cannot wait for the Librem 14.

Could you try a USB dongle for display out, it may not be high res but good enough?

1 Like

I have a Dell XPS 12, brightness is always at minimum, very often it flickers and there are always dark zones between very dark zones on the display, very rarely brightness go maximum: my eyes are painful. Moreover glue is leaking from the display to keyboard, so that I use a USB keyboard…

But, twist of the day! I just tried another external monitor and it is working!! :star_struck:
The issue was my TV, that works with my decoder but no more with my laptop, using the same HDMI cable and the same HDMI port: the TV realizes a source from laptop but it stays blank…

Now I can wait another month for my Librem 14! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes