Blog Post: Librem 5 Evergreen Update: Mold and Milestones

Those times are definitely acceptable for a limited time during the early adoption phase, but in the long run I’d be shooting more for 20+ hours, preferably 24+. So I hope these numbers are indicative for when the phone starts shipping in November, but will still improve afterwards.

I don’t know about this “average person” you speak of, but let’s just envision what a 12h runtime would look like in practice. With 12h between charges, I’d have to plug in almost as soon as I get home from work. Unless I really prefer the anxiety of waiting until the battery reaches 3% and the phone has been screaming at me to feed it for the past couple of hours. So, assuming I want to remain reachable 24/7, I’d need two chargers: one in the living room, or wherever I spend my evenings, and another in the bedroom. And that assumes I don’t spend my evenings doing something that takes me away from a power socket for prolonged periods of time, e.g. have a drink with the colleagues after work, go see a movie, theater, the gym, … Because, unfortunately, emergencies are not in the habit of scheduling themselves neatly around my phone’s circadian rhythm.

The only people I know of that plug in their phones as soon as they get home are people that accidentally bought a crappy phone with an abysmal runtime who can’t afford to buy a new one, and people that have aging phones with a dying battery, but haven’t managed to replace it yet. On that note, btw, thanks for making the battery replaceable.

1 Like

Since it’s USB-C, having extra chargers isn’t actually that difficult. My phone usually gets charged in the car, when I’m not otherwise using it anyway. Depending on the particular use case, a spare battery, or an external battery pack are also potential solutions.

All that said, I would expect the battery life to continue to improve some, but I wouldn’t expect the active time to increase much. One of the first things I’m going to do is see if I can get the low power core to actually work as intended (by the chip maker), as that should help considerably. Standby time could increase considerably if deeper sleep states get fixed, but getting the wake conditions right can be a bit of a challenge.

2 Likes

for me evergreen with 8hrs ACTIVE all the time with screen ON and non-NETWORKED till 25% charge remains in battery is gonna be ENOUGH for a START … after that the situation is welcome to improve but this is gonna be a tolerable minimum for ME …

i don’t like risking the battery getting bellow 25% and with my bbq10 i don’t have to as i have a couple spares that i just use to reload … if i reload quickly enough when i hot-swap i can even avoid the RTC from resetting to the factory-defaults which is a plus for me since i don’t have to set it manually or by network afterwards when it’s rebooted :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m gonna have to invest in some better USB-C cable for the car, for the occasional long trip, since my current cable is slow as hell. I also have to check if the USB port in my car actually outputs enough power to support a reasonable charging rate. Right now I don’t bother, because my current phone does well over 24h on one charge, and my commute is 10 minutes. I’m also lucky enough to have an office job, so with WiFi at home and at work, I rarely have to rely on the more power hungry mobile Internet connection. Which probably explains why I’m getting such good runtime on what’s essentially a cheap Chinese budget phone I bought to bridge the gap between my previous one dying and the L5 arriving.

Also good point on the second battery. I was already thinking of getting one, as it would allow me to just put in a fresh cell if the primary one dies. I’ll decide when I get the phone in my hands, because there are other factors at play: can I swap it while plugged in without the phone rebooting on me? Is the phone easy enough to open so it doesn’t become too much of a hassle? Will the phone react properly to hot-swapping the battery, or will it get confused when I switch between batteries with different degradation levels? But in the long term, I don’t want to have to carry an extra battery just to make it through the day.

1 Like

If you’re going to buy another charger anyway, use it at work. As for weekends, you should be outside playing anyway.

I am a little curious how spare batteries are to be charged. Just by the phone, I guess?

1 Like

I seem to remember reading in this forum somewhere quite a bit about how VoLTE was either a non-starter or difficult on the L5. My Galaxy Siii is almost dead and my PinePhone just arrived. I was astounded that as soon as I got a T-Mobile MVNO SIM card activated, it did SMS and made calls. I’m assuming that it is VoLTE, since I only seem to get a 4G signal.

So, what was the hangup regarding L5 VoLTE again?

BTW, I’m having fun with the Phosh/Phoc/Libhandy DE on the PinePhone – it only makes me want my Evergreen all the more. The PostmarketOS is really lacking in software at the moment (seemingly much more so than PureOS). I really appreciate Purism’s work on the software side.

3 Likes

the L5 doesn’t have one yet (battery is 3500mah atm) … but for my bbq10 i have a dedicated, portable, external, battery “cradle” that uses USB-A to micro-USB (2.0) to charge hot-swapable batteries on-the-go … or just use an external power-bank ? (bulkier - don’t like that)

It was really good news that the antenna has been improved. To me it is the most important thing - even more important than the battery life. Where I move the reception is usually tolerable to bad - or none. At home I have a fast fiber connection but radio is lousy. I am willing to wait still more if I can get improvements to the reception.

It’s not so much about the charger, I already got plenty. It’s more about having to have chargers all around the place just to make it through the day. Its about not having to adapt my life to work around my phone’s inability to hold a charge.

And when playing outside, I still want a functioning phone. Just because I am flying my drone over a remote field doesn’t mean I want to be unreachable for emergencies. Or even for a friend asking for directions so he could join me. :wink:

2 Likes

I want to say something about the dependency people have relatively recently developed on proximity to a cell phone, but I’m having a hard time wording it properly.

2 Likes

Probably because you are distracted by your cellphone and its constant “notifications” popping up all the time. :slight_smile:

I think people in general find it difficult to focus on anything nowadays, because of this. It’s made us all stupid. But damn it, that’s not who we are. Time to break free!

2 Likes

I don’t think it is enabled yet. Probably still to be worked on / looked at.

Whether it works at all may depend on support within individual modem models. For example, for the modem model that is in the PinePhone, the specifications say that VoLTE support is “optional”. WTH does that mean?

1 Like

It means it does not exist (yet) or it is very bad. I once bought a television with optional HD. It never got HD so I had to buy a new one with “full HD”.

3 Likes

It could mean that (may arrive in a future firmware update, but may never arrive) - but it could alternatively mean that there are two models, one with, and one without. We just don’t know what it means.

Do not contact people through the cell phone apps and you will get no distracting answers … I have deleted all those messaging apps and the phone is very quiet. It is also possible to put all those plings at quiet and then you look at them when you have time for it. It is very much up to ourselves. I keep voice calls on the whole time, however, because it is nowadays considered such a terrible bother that nobody calls yo unless it is extremely important. Salesman are still a problem but I have eliminated them by having a small operator not on the national phone book (Åland Islands). They never bother to call those numbers. And some numbers can be blocked.

Point is that it is necessary to have means of filtering calls and contacts in many different ways.

1 Like