Bluetooth not working anymore with kernel 5.10.0-2-amd64?

Until the mentioned kernel version I had the binary package from the debian repo (firmware-atheros) installed and everything worked right away.

After the update to 5.10.0-2 I cannot enable it anymore.

The bluetooth service seems to be broken as well:
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEScanIntervalConnect” in group “Controller”
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEScanWindowConnect” in group “Controller”
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEMinConnectionInterval” in group “Controller”
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEMaxConnectionInterval” in group “Controller”
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEConnectionLatency” in group “Controller”
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEConnectionSupervisionTimeout” in group “Controller”
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: src/main.c:parse_controller_config() Key file does not have key “LEAutoconnecttimeout” in group “Controller”
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: Starting SDP server
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc bluetoothd[686]: Bluetooth management interface 1.18 initialized
Feb 09 09:34:49 robot-pc systemd[1]: Started Bluetooth service.

Does anybody has an idea what’s wrong now?

Search engine says you are not the only one. Not limited to PureOS. I suggest you likewise search.

Complaining about a missing key is not necessarily a problem. https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/bluetooth/bluez.git/commit/?id=02e46e9df6b0d897e6ba67dc3ea18e5e9c510e44

I couldn’t tell what version of bluetoothd you have but I expect that in time the patch will come through and the messages about a missing key will disappear. Whether that makes any difference to the actual behavior I don’t know.

After two weeks and several kernel updates later the index error is gone (EDIT: Thought so, but after reviewing journalctl it’s still there!), but bluetooth still isn’t working.
What I’ve done so far:

• Tested several firmware-atheros packages (the newest from 2021, an older one which I had on my harddrive from 2018 and a newer one from 2019)
  • disabled bluetooth service and reenabled it (via systemctl)
  • system restarts

What I see:

• rfkill sees it and is able to block/unblock it
  • bluetoothctl -> show results in:
    No default controller available
  • btmgmt power off (or on) results in:
    Set Powered for hci0 failed with status 0x11 (Invalid Index)

Does anybody have another idea how to pinpoint the issue?

EDIT: Seems to be fixed with the kernel version 5.10.0-6, see here:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=210279

1 Like

Issue is fixed in 5.10.0-4 already :star_struck: