Breaking Ground – Purism

Perhaps a valid point, many of us are excited about the project and we’re pretty forgiving regarding the process. But there are constructive ways to request more targeted information when we feel that transparency levels are off the mark, and there are other ways. Not judging whether that’s the case here, but I do feel like the tone on many critical posts on this forum could be more constructive and less accusatory or angry.

Also I’m not sure that many (most?) people have a good grasp of how difficult and time consuming good communication is. To echo the comments @matt2 made above, that stuff is definitely a full time job, and that’s without considering the opportunity cost of distracting the technical staff who need to get the work done. :sweat_smile: Comms have their value, but it really does nothing to get the actual job done.

4 Likes

I remember in the first year there was hardly any “comms “ at all. I was checking regularly and got tired of checking so I’d wait a month or two and check back only to find no updates. Sorry but it doesn’t take that much time to write an update once a month for all those people who supported your endeavor to let them know what’s going on

1 Like

Are you looking in the right place? https://puri.sm/news/

They’ve just put out a huge update which obviously took a ton of effort to put together. I don’t agree that comms are as bad as you’re suggesting.

1 Like

when Purism posts a hardware update most people go like - :dizzy_face: - you can hear crickets …

1 Like

Didn’t I say the first year???

Or… it felt that way because we checked the news page 20 times a day?

To help your memory, you could check the chronology.
I count about 35 posts from October 2017 to October 2018. That’s not too shabby, and at least 20 of those I’d consider actual updates on progress.

2 Likes

This is pretty accurate.

4 Likes

No, muon. They have not been consistent with that. That’s an old issue I’m not going to visit again. Don’t judge by these last posts. Go back and check. Bring a calendar with you please. The other problem is that some people from Purism (I think) go to other places to say something we would like to read about here ignoring the fact that this forum is the obvious place to publish a comment in between updates. Why do we need to chase Purism around the Internet to know something about something else? Wrong behavior. That’s why someone said here that some information should be at least copied here AFTER they are said somewhere else.

2 Likes

About L5, Caliga?:thinking:
And what happened after? We talked about this problem before. Were we making things up then?Oh well…

Y…you know that they’re a company and not a collective, right?

Yeah one of those people would probably be me. I paid for a phone to be made, not for random people I don’t know to feel they’ve gotten attention to their satisfaction. Purism is a small company and they’re busy doing the stuff I, and many others, asked them to do which was implied when we made a transaction.

5 Likes

:-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2::-1:t2:

That may have been me.

They are building a smart phone from a miniaturized dev kit and a desktop operating system. It does not take many people to come up with 100’s of issues that are of fundamental concern to them. iOS and Android were not built in a day. Some people would rather get their hands on anything free, no matter how unfinished the rest of the smart phone is. Everyone has a different benchmark for “this works for me.”

Transparency, as it is being used in this forum, is a vague concept. It is not just an amount, there are different kinds of transparency. Just because Purism is being transparent about some kinds of things does not mean that we should expect them to be transparent about everything. I do not think that anyone here expects to read Purim’s internal e-mails. That would transparent, but obviously, they meant transparent in other ways, and not necessarily the ways that we imagine them to be.

3 Likes

It was funny, but yeah, kinda mean… I guess.

Mean?!!! No! That’s exactly what I’m talking about. I keep on waiting for this device because people like you don’t know what’s going on with this project. So I don’t really care of what you say it doesn’t matter if it sound “good” or “bad”. In the end it is what the “collective=Purism) DOES about my L5. And I go from there which means keep on waiting.

Wait…hold on. Lemme just see how you’re trying to paint me here…so I’m someone who didn’t order and is just dissing the project because xyz, etc. ? Is that correct ? I think anyone who wants to can look through my history to see that is most definitely not the case.
However, let’s go with this. You have just “slayed a troll” who has been critical of purism from day one! (heh)
What now big man?

Sorry. You don’t get it. I don’t care AT ALL about whatever you say. And I have no time for you. Think whatever you want of whatever you want. I’ve seen you “in action” before and I am not impressed. I don’t care about you. Really. Save your energy for someone else.

Tee hee, you didn’t even bother to look did you ? Well this is what happened, I made a dick/handjob joke at your multitude of hands in your last post…that’s what I thought was mean of me and thought better of and deleted.

I made the comment of hands in lieu to the post which I had typed out but thought the better of so I opted for a single thumbs down but this forum requires a minimum of 20 characters hence the multitude

Please all of you take a chill pill … and

please drag this topic all the way back to relevance.

1 Like