Building and running Signal Desktop on the Librem 5

I just linked Signal Desktop running on my Librem 5 with my account created with Axolotl (also running on my Librem 5, using a phone number from jmp.chat). Neither an iPhone nor an Android was necessary. Freaking amazing.

11 Likes

This is my dream—a stand-alone signal client on the Librem 5 :slight_smile: Can’t wait till I receive mine!

3 Likes

To be clear, it wasn’t particularly easy to set up, and Signal Desktop is not optimized for a mobile interface, but it can be done and does work as it does on a regular desktop computer (e.g. messaging, calling, etc).

1 Like

I think Signal Desktop must have updated, because it is fitting on the Librem 5 screen much better now and is actually usable with 200% screen zoom. This is very cool.

6 Likes

I guess flatpaks update automatically by default, right?

1 Like

If it’s helpful for others to see what the interface currently looks like, here’s a screenshot.

8 Likes

Hi there, I’m responsible for the flatpak (though I don’t build the actual binaries myself). Let me know if you have any troubles or if you’d make any improvements. There are .deb builds available in the gitlab if you’d rather use those on PureOS or Mobian.

4 Likes

Hello! Are you saying that there is a flatpak for Signal Desktop for aarch64 architecture, that could be used to install Signal Desktop on the Librem 5? If so, could you point to exactly where that is and how to use it for aarch64? (I earlier believed that it was only for x86_64 and therefore would not work on the Librem 5)

Which gitlab do you mean, where?

There is! It’s right here: https://elagost.com/flatpak/ (posted earlier in the topic too)

The source for all this is (link removed, new user can only post 2 links, same repo as the link below)
You can get the .deb packages here: https://gitlab.com/undef1/signal-desktop-builder/-/packages

It’s essentially a copy of the x86_64 flatpak on Flathub, which uses Signal’s official .deb release, tears it apart, and puts it into the flatpak. We just use an arm64 .deb instead, which I personally do not build. More information is in that repos’ readme.

I use it on PostmarketOS and verified it works on Arch Linux and Mobian too. I do not have a Librem 5, just a Pinephone.

9 Likes

The Flatpak of Signal Desktop is working great on my Librem 5. Thanks!

4 Likes

Would it make sense to have a Purism/Debian notification background process, similar to google play notifications or apple notifications? I guess this could potentially save battery life, because the L5 wouldn’t need to keep many apps (such as Signal) active in the background to receive notifications. Having such a service that is free and open-source would mitigate many of the freedom-restricting aspects of google/apple notifications.

Thoughts on similar solutions that already exist or how such a thing could be implemented?

3 Likes

As a heads up, Signal Desktop updated and when I next launched it, the user list on the left side of the screen was too large to make it usable (with 200% zoom, which is what I prefer to keep my Librem 5 at). I was able to shrink the user list back to circles for each user when I connected a mouse and used the cursor to click on the vertical bar and drag it to the left. If anybody else is using Signal Desktop on their Librem 5 and has this issue, hopefully this helps.

1 Like

Apparently the update broke something, as I am no longer able to call out or receive a call back in on Signal Desktop on my Librem 5 (whereas before the update I could).

I confirm this issue, and I reported this issue here:

3 Likes

Can you check if you can make a call from or receive a call to Signal Desktop on your Librem 5 now that it’s updated? I cannot (whereas before I could), but I don’t know if it’s because I’ve messed with something else in my Librem 5 (I doubt this is the case, but I just want to make sure).

I’ve tested and I can’t do calling now either. My build system is pretty manual and messy right now, and I’m working on getting versions and other things corrected. I’ll try and rebuild the old version today and push that up. Sorry, I don’t heavily test it before building and publishing.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve downgraded the Signal-Desktop flatpak to 5.30.0, which can make calls. Do a flatpak update and you’ll get it. I don’t really want to check forums super often, so please message me on matrix (@elagost:matrix.org) or file an issue here: https://gitlab.com/undef1/signal-desktop-builder
I check both of those more frequently than I log into the half dozen discourse forums I’ve got accounts on!

2 Likes

“Update regarding Linux ARM64 support! A bunch of (native) dependencies have been updated now which makes it much easier to build Signal on Linux ARM64. Especially ringrtc and libsignal-client now have official builds provided by the Signal team.”

For more details see:

3 Likes

Sooo is it too much to hope that Signal “desktop” will soon be a first-class client? (That is, no more link to android or iOS required).

2 Likes

Hello, just a quick request about Signal compatibility status with L5. What are the status about :

1. Official Purism support via Fund your apps (does the development started ?)
  2. Flatpak @elagost support : is the show/collapse contact view bug fixed, and is there any new feature / bugfixes since your last post ?
  3. @Skalman app status : did you find an easier way to build Signal on L5 ?
  4. What about Axolotl for Mobian : does call / visoconference work well ?

Not easy to follow everything so please feel free to come feedback, a big thanks !!!

1 Like