Byzantium configuration

You just see that options because it doesn’t fit in the screen if you scale the screen you’ll see the app properly.
The other way is to use gsettings to change them.if you want to see you actual fonts use:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface monospace-font-name

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface document-font-name

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface font-name

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences titlebar-font

And to replace them use for each of them, using the font name that you would like to change (mind that in this case is set instead of get).

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences titlebar-font ‘Ubuntu Bold 12’

Oh yes, I forgot about this, when I installed it, the phone took longer to start as it was running gdm3 at startup but I just removed it and it was fine, to be truth I’m just using the phone to play with it but I should consider that people is using it as their daily use one.

1 Like

Please take a look if sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install gnome-tweaks helps not to add gdm3.

Yes, this worked! Great thanks.

Another issue is about hotspot. It is very nicely added to Byzantium. However something is wrong when the phone gets its connection through Ethernet.

When the phone connects through Mobile data, enabling the hotspot everything works.

But when it connects through Ethernet, and then Hotspot is enabled, other devices connect to the phone (so hotspot works) but the phone itself looses its internet connection it had through Ethernet. Of course the clients that connected to the hotspot do net get internet. Maybe it is a routing problem? Is this easy to solve somehow with some commandline? In any case is it a bug to be hunted?

1 Like

Can you do:

ip route

and show what comes out?

[purism@pureos Documents]$ ip route
default via 10.42.0.1 dev usb0 proto dhcp metric 100
10.42.0.0/24 dev usb0 proto kernel scope link src 10.42.0.231 metric 100
10.42.0.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 10.42.0.1 metric 600
[purism@pureos Documents]$

The Network Manager on the laptop still shows that L5 is connected to ethernet and the icon on L5 bar that apperas when Network is not availabe is NOT present. Still internet does not work on L5 and hotspot clients.

Ah, yes. I ran into it: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/NetworkManager/NetworkManager/-/issues/808

It seems that you have connection sharing configured on your laptop and the Librem 5 is getting ti’s internet connection through that share via Ethernet over USB and then you have the WiFi hotspot feature on the Librem 5 enabled also?

NetworkManger on both the laptop and the Librem 5 are using the same (10.42.0.0/24) IP address/subnet causing confusion.

Just change one of the shares to use a different address range, I don’t know if the hotspot connection is created dynamically from scratch each time? It’s prbably easiest to change the IP range on the laptop…

nmcli con mod <connection_name> ipv4.addresses 10.88.0.1/24
1 Like

Thanks, it worked flawlessly! A dream to come true phone.

By the way, L5 produces a QR code for the hotspot. If you scan with an android you get the name, encryption and password. Is there an app/way for android that scanning this will automatically connect to the hotspot? Or this is just to easily copy the password?

About sharing. SSH works fine.

When I enable sharing of the Public folder, I am supposed to access it using dav://pureos.local
However, on the laptop I get
Could not display “dav://pureos.local/”.
Error: HTTP Error: Could not connect: Connection refused
Am I missing something on the desktop? I tested that on MATE desktop with Caja file manager with davfs2 and mate-user-share installed.

Same thing with nautilus. Connection refused.

And how do you access Music, Videos etc with Media sharing?

No. The purpose is, as you surmise, for automatic connection to the hotspot.

For Android, no idea, but for iPhone this works out-of-the-box. That is, scan the QR code on an iPhone and it prompts for confirmation to connect to the hotspot.

I only have a passing familiarity with Gnome’s basic file sharing so there may be other issues, however, the link/url that is offered up is missing a key ingredient, namely the port it’s listening on which is allocated dynamically.

With file sharing enabled on the phone, then from the phone’s terminal…

ps -ef | grep "user-share.*Listen" | awk '{print $13}' | head -n 1

…that should give you a 5 or 6 digit number which is the listening port, if you then tack that on to the end of the url dav://pureos.local:<port> it should now connect. For example, if the above terminal command returned 39427 the url would be dav://pureos.local:39427.

If the above terminal command didn’t return anything try ps -ef | grep gnome-user-share and dig through the output, you are looking for the number after “Listen”.
With nautilus, it should show up within the network section of “Other Locations” automatically without the need for the port number.

For the media share, once enabled it should be immediately visible to any applications/devices on the network that support DLNA, which applications/devices are you using to try to access the media shares?

For file sharing I would recommend looking at sshfs, it runs over SSH and is stable and robust. It is also fairly trivial to set it up in such a way that the phone gets automounted when it appears to a machine on a connection share, giving a similar level of convenience to simply plugging in a USB drive.

Great. It works. So the interface can be improved here. Now it is static. It says “use dav://pureos.local/” but it could improved to include the port.

Yes I also use ssh all the time. But sometimes you want to transfer a file with Windows and then it would be useful.

As for DLNA I did not know it is dlna that is enabled. I would like to use it with a TV set that supports dlna. So if they are both connected to the same network it should immediately work? Or it needs some configuration on the TV (as it was needed for dav) ? In any case although for dav the interface says something, for Media it says nothing. I think it should say “use dlna enabled devices” or similar.

Weather app: this one does not look so stable :thinking: It was auto detecting my location using wifi and that was placing me in Athens instead of the island I live. So after I added my island, it worked for a day or so. Next day defaulted to Athens and when I was switching to the island it stopped bringing any forecast. I wrongly thought to disable autolocation and the next time I opened it it brings nothing. Blank screen for 4 days now.

How do I reset this app? I can not find where it saves its configuration. Shouldn’t it be something like gnome-weather in .config/ ?

It’s not a feature I have made use of myself so I couldn’t say with any certainty, if it’s working as intended then it should only require enabling the media share and DLNA compatible devices on the network should see it. It should be quick and easy to test.

I’d be wary of media sharing over WiFi, if the WiFi performance of your Librem 5 is anything like mine (i.e. very slow and a little unstable) then it’s likely that you’ll struggle to reach or maintain the transfer rates required to maintain smooth uninterrupted playback (media type/size dependent of course). I might even struggle on a wired network connection for some uncompressed hi-res media, not that you’d have the disk space for such media on the phone anyway.

There is a Windows variant of sshfs, although I would concede that it is quite clunky and convoluted to get it setup and for the occasional transfer of one or two files there are other more convenient options.

About location services and maps: do location services work through GPS? and how to test? PureMaps does not locate me properly (geoclue service is running).

Moreover, are there any offline maps? I would prefer offline maps than online.

Does red shift work for you? There is a configuration for this in Settings→Displays→Night Light
but enabling it does not make any difference.

Can’t work atm, needs https://gitlab.gnome.org/World/Phosh/phosh/-/merge_requests/261 to reeanble that in phosh (we had via an older protocol before) and then we need to fix the kernel side.

OK, thanks @guido.gunther

Do location services work? Is there any “howto” available? It mis-locates me. And this affects the weather app too which remains buggy. Can’t load data for the non default location after the second time it is used. But maybe if location through gps is correct it will be OK. Who knows…

you need gnss-share for GPS location - there should be more info in other forum threads. (but your cellt tower of wifi should get you close enough for weather if you enable location service)