Camera (Dev Preview) app crashing

Partially correct (just while my expectations differ), when I “open Millipixels from phosh and then attempt to open it again from the terminal,” I do not expect another instance of millipixels with error. What I actually expect is that Terminal app already knows that millipixels is opened through touch screen and flip it to Camera window like I’d use Alt+Tab (when and if not having Terminal app open).

/dev/v4l-subdev6 and /dev/v4l-subdev7 on my other phone.

The terminal does as it’s told. Typing “millipixels” and then hitting enter doesn’t mean " open Millipixels," it means “execute the file with the name ‘millipixels’” so it would then be on Millipixels to check if it’s already running or not (though I don’t blame it for not checking, I can’t think of a good reason to have that program running in two separate instances). Phosh (this is an educated guess), on the other hand, will check to see if it’s already running before executing the Millipixels file, and if so just brings the already-running instance to the foreground.

1 Like

Please file that on https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/millipixels/-/issues/ if you want it taken care of. There are bigger fish to fry at the moment (crashes), so it’s very likely to get lost in the forums. Plus, this thread is now talking about 3 separate problems, none debugged, very hard to track. Issue trackers are the best thing ever.

This is known, but it won’t hurt to file it. Then it’s a hard to forget signal that it pains someone and should be fixed.

Should it? I’m not so sure - running Millipixels twice can be a useful thing as long as you don’t expect both instances to use the same camera at once:

1 Like

As I recall I’ve got errors/crash yesterday and didn’t even know why this happened right after brand new install (upgrade) of millipixels, etc. Is there something that I’m not aware of, not aware how “things” would like to be presented at this point of time? I just didn’t “know” (yesterday), nor expected that I already have another instance of millipixels already open.

I do not have any spare time for this, sorry. I’ve learned on how to open millipixels and as this app works for me as expected I’m pleased to use it as is.

If you open millipixels in phosh and then go open it in the terminal, you will end up with 2 instances of it running, and you then get the error about the camera not being available for the reasons I described. As for the errors you encountered initially, it appears that closing your version of millipixels using phosh (so swiping the app away) is not fully closing the application, which I (fellow nerd but not a Purism employee) believe is the underlying problem.

1 Like

Regular version of millipixels will behave the same, I’m quite sure.

@Gavaudan, you are the one that helped me with clarifying issue that isn’t only “mine”. I do appreciate this and being thankful to you for your clear guidance (mostly I’m having other thoughts working day behind me and not thinking about some Librem 5 software development “issue” at all, but you did think about here related one precisely, studied my worries carefully, and solved my “problem”). In short, you recognized underlying problem precisely (not myself, I just managed to rebuild this “issue”, and presented today my finding as I understood this “behavior”, caused from my side). @dcz, Gavaudan actually brought to surface my memory, not myself.

Very happy to help. However…

My version (0.17.0) closes just fine if it’s swiped away in phosh.

This is non questionable behavior with current millipixels version on Librem 5.

Anyway, Camera app in version 0.20.0-1 for arm64 related to this particular hardware will crash as well after, as second window, opened from CLI. Fourth phosh window: Close Window? I’m not even thinking to try to reproduce (at least not now).

EDIT: I’ve managed to reproduce Close Window? window by swiping away Terminal window. There exist slight difference in pressing Cancel or Close options … my session ends here.

“Cancel” is to cancel closing the terminal. “Close” will close the terminal, and thus kill any processes running within it.

I re-read the issues and I now think that what you’re experiencing is expected behavior; that is, if you only run one instance of Millipixels at a time, you won’t get any errors. If you run more than one, then you get the message saying the camera isn’t available (and it is, it’s busy with the first Millipixels instance). But I don’t believe any crash is occurring for you.

1 Like

As we are still in millipixels thread, Cancel will close second (non-working) instance of Camera opened though CLI.

Exactly (in short, unrelated to the first, main opened instance/window of app that we exchanged correspondence here about), this was main subject (point) of my postings from yesterday. Thanks again! Millipixels on its own do not produce any error (you’ll get there, this auto-focus feature is amazing, self-recognition of light income into Librem 5 camera lenses, etc., just marvelous job already done/achieved behind @dcz work).

If we are indeed talking about the same thing, this statement is incorrect. “Close” is what does that, it closes the terminal and Millipixels.

1 Like

The problem is reproducible, see: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/millipixels/-/issues/63

1 Like

Works exactly as intended, no need to report.

If you don’t care about two windows being open getting fixed, then it seems this isn’t much of a bug, either, and so there’s no need to report that either.

This is work done by Pavel Machek, not me.

Thanks, I’ll get it sorted within a week or so.

2 Likes

We do indeed talk about the same thing, as short touch on Close will close related Close Window? window (within phosh GUI) itself, non-usable instance of Camera window and there involved Terminal window (the one where millipixels command executed) as well.

P.S. I guess that broader audience can finely understand that sometimes I even to those that indeed follow my thoughts, simply leave out parts that they might (sometimes even need to) bridge/build together by themselves. @Gavaudan, thanks again (yet do not think that I’ll change myself as I’ll change nothing in my approach toward other people, when and if I talk to them at all)! Anyway it looks like, even to me now, that most of my .jpg captures here are indeed just black and white in their color (and that’s fine with my photos taste as well, especially when I can keep tracing myself made photos by myself, for my own album, benefit, …).

puism@pureos:/var/log$ ls -lh syslog messages
-rw-r----- 1 root adm 1018M Jan 21 12:10 messages
-rw-r----- 1 root adm  1.0G Jan 21 12:12 syslog

Is there somehow a configuration in millipixels to switch off the syslog of the app?

This is something Phosh does, and I’m surprised this is happening. Short answer: no idea.

1 Like

ls -lh syslog messages output within /var/log on my pocket phone simply tells me:

ls: cannot access 'syslog': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access 'messages': No such file or directory