Can anyone reccomend a PureOS Similar Alternative?

Thanks for the suggestion!

I do enjoy the use of CLI and I intend to get better at using it, it’s one of the many reasons why I switched back over to Linux tbh. Thanks though!

Ah I’ve seen this mentioned a few times, I’ll likely throw this on my laptop as well and see how it preforms. Thanks a lot. I’ll just throw a couple on and seen which one I gel with the most.

I will second Pop!_OS. I just put it on my Dell laptop (Intel + Nvidia 1050 Ti hybrid graphics), and it is the only Linux distro I have had actually work with the Nvidia card. Pop also has a handy GNOME extension for easily switching between performance modes when using hybrid graphics (performance-focused, balanced, and battery-life focused)

Does it use the “apt” package tool (I think this is the correct term…) and can you install .deb files with Pop!_OS?

Like I said I’ll try a few, however I am looking at this now and it does seem really nice.

Well, if you use Manjaro you don’t really need to bother using the command line. You can do everything through the ‘app store’ which I think is superior to e.g. Debian’s.

this is one i recommend to everyone who tries to sort out the various distributions … :wink:

https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Debian&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=All&status=Active#simple

unfortunately no filter for free/non-free or gaming-oriented/non-gaming-oriented

Yes, Pop!_OS is based on Ubuntu/Debian, so it uses apt and .deb files

Ah, I’d misunderstood what’d you’d said earlier about manjaro then. Solus may not be for you, if that’s the case. They have their own package manager.

I can recommend Elementary OS. It is based on Ubuntu but has a different desktop and a bunch of key system differences. It is Linux though and can do anything any other distro can. It’s focus on simplicity and just working. It looks similar, in a lot of ways, to Mac OS.

Darn, reading all the thread so far dashed my hopes for using an old hand-me-down Dell with PureOS as a game server. (Nothing fancy, just some first person shooter or a strategy game.)

With that rig I wouldn’t worry about bloat from a performance point of view (although you didn’t mention RAM).

May depend on the graphics card, if any. If there is a graphics card then PureOS will very likely be a problem. If it’s Intel integrated graphics then you should give it a try.

I’ll have to turn it on again to see. One of these days.

16GB DDR-4

It’s not really a performance issue, it just didn’t gel well with me. Like I said it’s been some amount of time however POP!_OS / Mint seems like my best bet. I’m definitely going to try POP!_OS out this weekend.

I’ve tried most of the top distros. Most have one or two nagging things that cause me to give them a pass. Pop-OS! being the only exception. I’ve been using it for a while now and am very happy. It’s well designed, beautiful, and polished. Everything works. No complaints!

Last year, Forbes covered gaming on Linux by testing a couple of Steam games across a few distributions including Pop!_OS. The author, Jason Evangelho, had varying success, however, had great success with Pop!_OS due to its simplicity to get things working.

Links to the different distro tests are in here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/03/15/linux-gaming-usability-and-performance-across-9-distros-introduction

Pop!_OS article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2019/03/20/pop_os-18-10-linux-gaming-nvidia-radeon-user-experience