Can anyone reccomend a PureOS Similar Alternative?

In my experience, Cinnamon is the best of the current desktop environments. I never got used to the GNOME 3 Shell, no matter how many times I tried using it. Mate was too much work to configure the way I wanted. LXDE requires too much use of the command line because it lacks things. XFCE was OK, but Cinnamon was better and it required very little tweaking.

I prefer Debian stable + backports because it offers all the major desktop environments and it never breaks anything. All I really care about is having a recent version of Firefox and LibreOffice, which is possible with backports.

2 Likes

GNOME 3 is really all I’ve known, as long as I have Dash to Dock I’m good to go. Any other tweak is just an added bonus.

I’ve used Mint MATE in the past however I never got super into it after that most my experience was with GNOME, I’m trying to make an almost full transition to Linux (a couple games won’t work in Linux for the foreseeable future I don’t think) so I was looking for something sleek, simple, familiar and powerful.

PopOS just seemed to fit it so well.

PopOS is a hybrid Ubuntu that is pushing the bleeding edge a bit more in terms of hardware integration, so yeah, I would recommend it as well. I don’t like the design stylings in Pop OS at all though.

Also my jam for gnome extensions is dash to panel. I’ve always hated the status bar at the top of linux systems, and dash to panel gets rid of it, and stuff it into a dock similar to a windows taskbar. Only much nicer!

I’ll check that out tonight, when I’m home.

What do you mean by Stylings?

Fonts, color palette, icons, etc.

1 Like

Thank you for this. I use gnome at work and this made it much more enjoyable.

1 Like

Just goes to show that you can please some of the people some of the time but …

I have the date and time on the status bar at the top of my display and I use it extensively. I also like the network connectivity status icon on the status bar.

You still get all of that. It is just merged with the dock. It is real slick and makes everything look real nice and put together. I love that it auto hides as well.

1 Like

Where on the screen is the dock? (when not hidden) Does it give a choice?

Nah, I want date/time and network status on screen all the time. (This is a desktop with a reasonable size screen so I can afford to lose a bit of screen real estate permanently.)

It does give a choice, too, bottom, or either side. You choose if it auto hides or not as well as its size. It’s pretty great.

1 Like