Can Firefox and Chromium look like the Android versions?

Currently the GNOME browser has the functionality expected from a phone browser in that there’s a button with a count of the number of tabs which you click on to see a list of open tabs.

The Firefox and Chromium browsers behave in the same way as they do on the desktop with a series of tabs in the title bar which doesn’t work well on a phone.

Is there a way of configuring Firefox and/or Chromium to look like they do on Android?

As an aside my eventual aim is for convergence so I would like browsers to change between the Android UI and the phone UI based on the physical size of the screen that is being used. But that’s a later issue, currently just making it usable on a phone screen is the challenge.

In Firefox, there is a small down arrow next to the tabs. When you click on that it shows all of the open tabs. Doesn’t that meet your needs? It is a nice feature for me with multiple tabs at least.

Thanks that basically works, and Chromium has the same thing. Not as good as the proper phone layout as used on Android though.

Just install angelfish… lightening fast mobile web for KDE plasma mobile

There’s a Mozilla thread that I encourage everyone to submit feedback and ideas to have an adaptive toolbar for Firefox.

2 Likes

No. Their Android versions are completely different codebases.

There are a number of Firefox extensions that allow tabs to be displayed vertically, in a sidebar. This is not something I have tried, but it might be possible to use one of these extensions, with a button added to the toolbar to activate or hide its tab listing, to get some of the way to a more “mobile style” UI in Firefox.

Thanks, I’ve commented on that advocating for a design that allows the layout to change in accordance with the display characteristics of the moment.

The current situation is that Firefox on a Huawei Mate 10 pro looks bad when connected to a USB-C monitor and the regular Linux build of Firefox looks bad when run on a phone or other similarly small device.